1) he could be over-tired. Some kids get more 'hyper' when over-tired. Does he get enough sleep every day?
Some kids this age still need to nap.
My daughter did, especially after a long day of school
2) is he bored? Bored kids get much more into "mindless" physical activity.
3) You said, between 5-7pm, he gets like this. THIS is when, many kids are just TOO tired already. It is the "witching hour" still. Even if they are not a baby.
Make sure he is fed or has a snack already.
4) Does he do anything creative? Try that. He is used to just being entertained. But can't entertain himself.
Turn OFF the electric toys.
Tell him and guide him on doing other things. Maybe build something, do crafts, pretend play etc. Paint.
5) Some kids, just do not know how to think of activities by themselves. Hence they get bored. Hence they get all over the place.
Have things for him to do. Have a 'schedule' at home too.
Let him unwind after his day, have a snack, rest and deflate. THEN have him do chores. Keep him busy.
He is young... he needs direction.
He can't manage his own direction.
Kids this age, cannot do "time management" on their own.
And then, talk to your Pediatrician.
He seems real over-tired. And bored.
If my kids don't nap (my 4.75 year old son still naps every afternoon. And my 8 year old daughter will when she is tired)... they get bonkers at that time span too. When they are like this, I KNOW they are over-tired.
When my Daughter is over-tired, she can't even eat.
AND when my kids are hungry, they NEED to eat/snack. I feed my kids, on demand. If their blood-sugar level drops... it makes for a CRANKY and out of sorts kid.
My kids NEED to graze... AND when hitting growth-spurts.
Last summer, my daughter was eating constantly and hungry, literally. She was growing and that summer she grew like 5 inches!
I feed them healthy and not junk, so I don't mind them eating/snacking when their body needs to.
They still eat dinner just fine.