5 1/2 Month Old, Does Not Look You Straight in Eye, Is That Normal?

I have a 5 1/2 month old grandson named Esai and I have noticed that when people walk into the room, he never looks directly at you. He lift his head to look but it always seems like he is looking at your ear. Even sometimes when I am holding him, he appears to be looking at my ear. If we put in up close to our face then he looks directly at us. Is this normal? Has anyone ever experienced this with a baby so young? Just concerned that me may have Lazy eyes or something, or wondering is it normal at this stage?

Just wanted to update all you moms that responded to me, thanx again. Took the baby to the doctor yesterday for his 6 month check up and all went good except of course the eye sight issue. His Pediatrician will be referring him to the Opthomologist for further diagnosis but it does appear to be a lazy eye issue. He is very healthy and energic and he loves to play. He loves to interact with everybody, so the Dr. does not believe that it is an autism issue. So we will see what the opthomologist says. Thanks again to all of you.

I don't know, but this could be a sign of Autism as well. If you are concerned, then talk to the parents, and if they become concerned, then have them talk to the pediatrition. He may be too young to diagnose anything, but if it is brought to the ped.'s attention, he will help keep an eye on it, and when he gets a little older, will help test him for any thing. Keep an eye on it and talk to the dr. it can be normal, but you never know!

Most babies have a tendency to look at the area just around your head rather than right at your eyes. My sister thinks they can see your aura. I don't know about that, but I know that all my children have done this. My youngest is now 9 months and he looks at my eyes, but for the first 6-7 months he did the same thing. If you are really concerned, you can have him tested by his pediatrician.

I would take him to his pediatrician!

Veronia, let me start out by telling you what a great grandmother you are. It sounds like your daughter is very lucky to have your support and your wisdom behind her. Your grandson probably should be visually tracking by now and, although he is still young, it doesn't hurt to discuss this matter with his pediatrician. It may be something to do with his vision, like lazy eye as you had suggested, or something else that may be easily treatable if caught right away. And continue to pay attention to his developmental milestones and your hunches. It is possible to diagnose significant developmental delays as early as 12 to 18 months, and if diagnosed early and with the right therapy, it can become a non-issue for him later on.

My oldest son did the same thing. This may sound strange but place a flashlight (like the small ones that you can attach to a key chain) in your mouth a couple times a day. He will start focusing more on your facial features over time.

V.,

It is not normal for a baby not to look you in the eye. If he does this to everyone..please contact his pediatrician. He
may have a form of autism. At least get it ruled out.

I know you've received a lot of responses, but I just thought I'd give you my take. My son did the same thing. I brought it up to my son's doctor who checked his eyes and didn't find anything and just commented that some babies aren't that into making eye contact. we s witched insurance and doctors and by 12 months noticed a lazy eye developing. His new pediatrician refered us to a pediatric opthamologist that found that he's extremelly near sited and has a lazy eye. He will be having surgery next month to try to correct the lazy eye (which is due to an eye muscle that is attached in the wrong place). All this to say, most pediatricians are not equiped to fing eye problems. It is best if they can refer your grandchild to a pediatric opthamologist who can do a much more extensive screening. I'm so thankful that I followed my instinct, but wish I would have pushed for it sooner. I hope it's nothing, but it really doesn't hurt to have it checked out.

Blessings,

I know you've gotten a lot of responses, but wanted to add that in case it is a lazy eye, my husband has one. He wore glasses when he was a baby till he was in 4th grade, 10 yrs old. He had about 3 surgeries and his first surgery was at about age 3 or so. He really doesn't remember. The last surgery was at age 10 and is the one that finally worked. He has perfect vision, with the exception that he can only see from one eye at a time. Doesn't seem to bother him. You can tell when he is tired because his right eye looks away. He focus's it when you tell him. He can also make it look a way on its own. Quite funny sometimes. This was back in the 80's so I'm assuming that medical technology is better now than it was back then regarding lazy eyes. Good luck. Definitely check with the doctor.

1 / 3