4Th Grade Valentine Party Ideas

I am in charge of my son's Valentine's day party at school and am at a loss for what to have them make for their parents or what games to play. I only have an hour, and I am having to purchase ALL of the materials. For the craft, I want to do something that the parents will want to keep (and not throw away!), but that won't break the bank! And I HATE FOAM, so that is totally out of the question! I also want to do a fun game, but not the usual like BINGO. There are 27 kids so they can't be up and about either. Thanks ahead of time for all of your creative ideas!

Thanks everyone for all of your great suggestions. I ended up ordering heart shaped tins from Oriental Trading that has a heart shaped accordian folded paper insert. I'm going to have the kids write phrases on it to their parents (You know you're in love when..., I love you more than...,I know you love me because... etc) If you have any more suggestions for phrases, I'd love to hear them. For the game, we are going to make words out of "Happy Valentine's Day!". The party is right before lunch so food is not a worry, and they'll be exchanging valentines at the end of the day.

My son loves when I do brain teasers with his class. I found a website that has lots of brainteasers. The kids were divided into groups (usually just how they are already seated at their desks). They answer as many as they can as a group. Group that answers the most gets to get their food first. http://kids.niehs.nih.gov.

Do a Pop-Up card project.

I googled it & there are lots of sites to choose from. You could get a load of colored construction paper from a wholesale club & print some instructions from the internet & let the kids go to town!

Also, they could make mini books, I do this a lot for special things for friends. Check out this instructional video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1000304/make_a_book_16_page...

Make a template, like in the video, open the paper up to see where the pages are , show the kids, & they can color the pages with the paper open.

Use a little glue stick to hold it together. Glue a little cardboard cover on it if you feel like it.

Good luck! Hope this helps you!

P

Craft: Go to oriental trading and purchase a picture frame kit, cheap and cute and won't be thrown away. You can either take the picture of the children and send the frame home the next day or let the parents put a picture in.

How about a game like, how many words can you make out of the words Happy Valentines Day.: ten, lent, vent, pan, pen, net, nit, nail, sail, snail, ail, yes, nap, etc..... Then you can put a cap on the time, whoever finds the most words, obviously, wins.

Well on Valentine's Day they usually want to open their cards and read them and eat the goodies. I have found that Valentine's Day parties go by really fast with just the cards.
You could make a red handprint like suggested and have a little poem something like From the tips of my fingers to the tips of my toes from the bottom of my heart to the tips of my nose. I love you
If you put the childrens' palms together you can make the hands look like a heart.
I just don't think you will have enough time.

The valentines craft that I still remember doing in school and my parents kept forever was a plaster cast handprint. Plaster of Paris is super cheap ($6 for 8 lbs) and molds can be made out of anything (like paper plates, pie tins, etc). The one I made as a kid was spray painted gold...but I don't remember being the one to do that. Maybe the teacher let them dry and then painted them before giving them back. Maybe my parents painted it after I got it home.

A fun game might be "pin the kiss on the cupid". You can buy a cheap cupid cut out at the dollar store or walmart and then cut out kisses from red construction paper. Blindfold the kids, spin them around and let them go :)

Check out amazingmoms.com for more party ideas...I love that site! Good luck!

Im sure local craft stores carry kits like these, but I'm not overly crafty ...

anyway, OrientalTrading.com has a bunch of crafts... even if you don't purchase there, maybe you can browse their craft section for ideas. A lot of the stuff is the dreaded foam, but they have wooden, cermamic, and plastic crafts too. www.orientaltrading.com

I like the plastic heart shaped keychains that the kids design themselves (4.99 per dozen)

and also the beaded keychains (7.59 per dozen)

They also have paint your own ceramic heart shaped flower pots (you buy the paint separately) for 6.97 per dozen

Paint your own heart mini windchimes (wooden with metal chimes) 9.99 per dozen

One year with my class I purchased small flower pots and painted the kids hands red and then they pressed them on the pot upside down together(wrist up toward the top of the pot) to make a heart. We then had them cut out a red heart and list the top ten things they love about their parents, we encouraged them to be specific and creative not to copy each other. The kids loved it. In the spring we started flowers in little small plastic cups that they could take home and put into the pots from Valentines.

Why don't you feed them well, and while sitting at their desk, let them write a note to whoever they want, parent, grparent, friend. Kids by that age, aren't all in the same situation, and may not have a parent they want to write to, so leaving it open would be good. By the time you eat and write and they talk a little, the hr will be over. You could also try passing out some magazines or showing a video.

1 / 3