41 Tired, Headaches, Upset Stomach and More Help

I am a virginia Mom of 2 girls. 2 and 6. Please give me some suggestions or advice on why I am always so tired. I am 41 and I have headaches all of the time. (also upset stomach). I gat about 2 good hours of sleep. Our 2 year old does not sleep well. Actually the best way to get her asleep is with the sound of the running vacum. (we recently bought a white noise vacum cd) But I am pooped. Do you think that I need a physical? My headaches turn easliy into migraines. Maybe I am going through the early hormone changes. I feely moody and just plain worn out. I think that my husband is getting tired of me feeling like this. But I do not know what to do. Help. I do not have timefor me time. I love being around my kids. But I really am just plain worn out and tired of feeling sick. Thanks for you time.

allergies?/ I have allergies that give me a headache and all the drainage upsets my stomach.

I tried over the counter zyrtec last night and woke up feeling much better.

M.,
I have been there and worse. I am a wellness educator and would love to help you. Contact me if you would like to know what I did to get healthy and migraine free.
V.

Two hours of sleep is not sufficient to feel healthy at all. I'd start there before worrying about hormonal imbalances. Getting the two-year-old to sleep through the night will probably help you get more sleep. More activity for her, pushing back sleep time, ensuring she's full before bedtime, and letting her cry it out are all methods to help your 2-year-old sleep better and independently. Not sure if she's in need of the white noise vac CD, but whatever works to get her to be a better sleeper, which will help you tremendously. If you're sleep deprived, your thought processes are slower, you are more prone to tension and anxiety, and it's no wonder you have migraines. If you're a working mom, that just makes it all even harder. You are a human being, not a machine. You need rest, you need interests, and you need some peace and quiet. Your adrenal glands can become overworked/overstressed and cause your immune system to go haywire. Change the environment before running to the doctor, though after the environment is settled, you probably will still need a professional eval. to help you toward full recovery.

Hi M. -

I agree with everyone that the lack of sleep and time to yourself is probably making you feel so ill. If you find that once your sleep improves and you have some me-time you're still feeling bad, it could be that you are still sleep-deprived (it takes a long time to catch up!) or there could be more going on, in which case a complete physical and bloodwork would probably help.

You mention your 2 year old sleeps better with white-noise, which makes me think she might have some sensory issues. If she's oversensitive to sound, she might just be waking up because she hears something (anything) and then can't get back to sleep. My now-4-year-old has sensory issues, and until we got them figured out, she rarely slept and was miserable (and so were we).

If she's extremely sensitive to sound and/or sensitive to other things (touch, taste, smells, - either over-seeking them (needing stimulation) or shying away from them (overstimulated)), I would strongly suggest an evaluation by an Occupational Therapist (OT) well-versed in sensory issues. (most pediatric OT's are familiar with sensory issues, but not all are). Your insurance should cover it, especially if you use a preferred provider. The OT will easily tell you if it's something they can help you with.

Good luck - feel free to email me if you have any further questions. L., mom to 2 girls, 10 and 4

M.,
V.

You don't mention in your post whether your husband shares nighttime duties with you when your 2 year old awakens. If he shares the sleepless nights with you for a week or two, he may appreciate why you are exhausted with only 2 good hours of sleep each night. Remember, if you are SAHM, that doesn't mean you don't have a full time job during the day that you need to be awake and refreshed for. By age 2, your daughter should be sleeping more than 2 hours at a stretch. Have you spoken to your pediatrician about her wakefulness and what could be causing it? I too had a son with trouble sleeping early on, but by age 2, he only woke up in the middle of the night about 3 times a week, and I still managed to get about 4 hours unbroken at a time. Solve her sleep problem and you may find that this is the root cause of your other symptoms, because chronic sleep deprivation can mess up all sorts of other bodily processes. Good luck!

I'm 43 and I'm with ya.
Going to the doctor is by far the wisest next step. In the meantime, do the following at a minimum: iron could be a culprit, try taking an iron supplement and eating your greens etc. Dehydration could be a simple problem too: drink water, cut back on caffeine and diet sodas and other potential diuretics, might help with the headaches too. If you are drinking wine or similar at night, stop. Saps your energy and dehydrates you further. Finally, sleep -- see if you can figure out a way to help your own sleep routine, like a bath before bed or take some melatonin or a cup of chamomile before bed.
You don't just sound tired, you sound depressed too, so discuss with your doctor and with your husband. Maybe a getaway with DH would help, if there is a grandparent who can take the girls for a couple of nights.
Hang in there,

M.:

WOW!! Sounds like you need a weekend at a hotel with pampering!!!

First find out why your 2 year old does not sleep well - light sleeper, ear problems, what? If you can get her to sleep through the night, you might be able to sleep through the night.

I do believe that you should get a physical to ensure that you are not anemic (lack of sleep can lead to low levels in iron).

I live in Reston too - I'd love to go walking with you - put the younger one in a stroller and walk while your six year old is in school. That might help as well.

You MUST make time for yourself. Friday is MY night - hubby does dinner etc. I'm "NOT" here - whether I stay home or go out with my friends - I am ignored....just the way I like it - I can watch movies on MY tv, read books, or just BE - NO ONE asks me questions, NO ONE talks to me!! YIPPEE!!!!

Let me know how I can help!!!

Hi M., I think you should go to the doc and get a check up and see whats going on. But I do have some info that may help you and actually just posted this for someone else. I had my kids in my mid-30's (I'm 43 now with a 10 and 7 yo and 14 yo step dtr) and I'm sure it's a little harder for us "older" moms than the younger ones! That being said, I have been taking a liquid vitamin/mineral suppliment for the last several weeks and have found it to work wonders! Not only am I getting my vitamins/minerals in, but I've noticed I'm sleeping better and focusing better and more energy to get things done. I haven't turned into super woman by any means, but it has made a difference and maybe it will for you as well. The cost is only about $1 per day and it has a FREE business opportunity as well. Check out the website and make sure you "Take the Tour": http://www.shopGBG.com/fheck Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are feeling better soon!

1 / 3