40Th Birthday Gift for Sister

Hi there everyone. I am having a hard time coming up with a great 40th birthday gift for my sister. She is my only sibling (plus she is older than me - had to get that in!) and she lives in Georgia. I really want to make it special and don't mind putting some $$ into it. I've thought of gag gifts and flowers but just really wanted to do something out of the ordinary. Her daughter is having some health issues and just had surgery 2 weeks ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

First of all thank you so much ladies! All of your suggestions were great. I must say you all got me to thinking and I finally have decided. I really started thinking about what she would like and not so much what I would like for a 40th gift. Well, just before she had her first child we both went to Destin, FL with our mom for a girl’s only trip. I was just out of college and didn’t appreciate it for what it really was and should have been. My mom suggested we do it every year so we could stay close and have that special time. Well, a year and a half later our mom passed away from a massive heart attack. It was very sudden and very unexpected. I had just gotten married 3 months before it happened and had moved to Texas. Needless to say we didn’t get that chance again. After thinking about that trip, I decided to surprise my sister with a trip to Florida. I’ve already talked to her husband and he said the weekend I picked out was fine and she would love it. I plan on telling her the Thursday night before the trip over the phone to pack her bags because she’ll be on a plane the next morning. I am so excited right now I can hardly stand it. I just booked it all and know it will be great.
I’m sure this is WAY more than any of you wanted as a response, but I felt the extra info would help you see my decision. I appreciate all the ideas and advice! Life is just too short to miss out on these special opportunities.
Much thanks ladies!!!!!!

Oh and I do plan on taking LOTS of pictures and making a 40th birthday scrapbook for her after it's all said and done! I am a scrapbook queen!!!!!!!

i don't know if it would be possible, but how about the best gift of all- your presence! If at all possible, maybe you could get away to visit her for just a few days for a visit to celebrate her birthday with her. Another thing you could do is buy her $40 gift certificates at some of her favorite places to shop and make a little display with birthday wishes.
That is nice for you to want to do something special for your sister.!

Dogeared.com has super cool necklaces & such. I have gotten a couple for gifts for people & they are always a hit.

I'm with a company called Heritage Makers. We have wonderful, personalized gifts. Why not give her a book about the two of you and tell her much you love her, admire her and how much she means to you? Check out my website at www.holdingmemoriesforever.com. I've given lots of gifts to family members and each time, they are deeply touched. If you have any questions, send me and email at ____@____.com and I can show you samples.

I am Michelle. I live in S.Arlington. I have a suggestion about your sister's gift and one for you as well.
I am the owner of a small local business and I make custom gift baskets which include skincare, cosmetics, fragrance, etc. I would gladly make one and send it with FREE shipping to your sister. This includes personalized service, 100% customer satisfaction guarantee and usually free stuff that's fun. I'd love to help, it's my job! My website is: www.marykay.com/mgarrett2010
Ok, as far as you needing adult conversation, we can start out professionally if you'd like me to give you a complimentary facial so you can feel comfortable. You could bring a friend or your kids, or I could come to you. I love getting other's opinion about my product and we could use that time to choose your sister's gift as well. The choice is yours and I'm here for you anytime.
I hope this helps, Sincerely, Michelle :)

Arrange for a limo to pick her up and drop her off at a spa and also pick her up.....plus dont tell her what the surprise is just tell her to be off and ready to go that day for the whole day. If you cant do a limo ask one of her friends to be the driver but to keep it a surprise.

First of all, 4 kids under the age of 7, what a woman. What a blessing to be able to stay at home with them. I am proud of you. I can not imagine I have 2, 8.5 years apart. You deserve a "You Go Girl Award" When I turned 40 my Mother and my sister got a photo box and collected all of my childhood photos from all of the boxes my Mother had and gave them to me. It was a wonderful gift that a drag out and enjoy when I am missing them because they live far from me but close to each other. I love shawls and scarves and my Grandmother gave me a shawl and said to put it on when I need a hug from her. Elaborate gifts are fine but those that might not cost much money but have a lot of thought and effort always mean more. Good luck.

When my sister turned 35 I wanted ot give her something special as well. I bought her a silver bracelet from Tiffany's. It was about $150, but the memory of her seeing the little blue box and being so surprised, was worth it. Most women never receive the "little blue box" from Tiffany's. I know I never have. Just a thought.

How about having someone come clean house for her? Seems like that would be good if she just had surgery...

1 / 3