4 Yr Old Wants a Puppy

My 4 yr old girl has been asking for a puppy for a couple of years now, and I am finally starting to seriously think about getting her one. I want a dog that has low maintenance, and very good with children. Also I would like a small dog. What would be the best breed to get?

I have 2 wonderful shih tzus. They do not shed and they rarely bark. They are also very tolerant with my 21 month old. They are playful but low-key. Overall very low-maintenance. Don't require a ton of exercise (like a Jack Russell might), but they enjoy playing when you are ready to play with them. They are each under 20 pounds.

You can also go online do some research on the best dogs for children. The internet is wonderful when looking for information on anything.

Hope that helps

G.

The right dog for one family is not always the right dog for another family. I work as a professional dog trainer, so I see a lot of perfect matches and not-so-perfect ones. There are a lot of things to consider:
Size of house, size of yard, fenced yard, finaces, grooming responsibilites, your personality (are you laid back or out going?), what you want out of a dog, gaurding instinct, ect.
All of that has to be taken into account. If you are a laid back, mellow person, getting a hyper (but sweet) Jack Russel will be a bad match. If you are a person on the go that likes to hike, jog, ect getting a lazy English Bulldog will be the wrong choice. Also you have to consider where you live: If you live in an apartment or a subdivision where houses are close together, you don't want to get a dog that barks a lot (unless you are willing to train it away) b/c you will have neighbor conflict issues.
If you would like to contact me privately we can discuss your personality, wants, lifestlye and maybe I can help you choose a breed.
My email address is: ____@____.com

Check out this website! It lets you put in your preferences and selects which dog is best for your family. It's really neat!

http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog/

Hope that helps

G.

I would highly recommend a beagle. They are a great size and very good with kids. They are also low maintenance. You do not have to get them groomed. We just give Abby (our beagle) a bath about 4 times a year. (If you bath them too often it can dry out their skin.) We have 4 small children (6,5,3,1) and couldn't expect a better dog. We would get another beagle in a heartbeat!

I have a 3 year old and she really wanted a puppy. We got her a dachsund and she has become so responsible. She feeds it, waters it, takes it outside, and puts down a clean pad after I take up the dirty one. We can't believe how much she has done with the dog at 3!!! I have heard that dachsunds aren't good with kids, but ours is. We have had a boxer and WOO! that was a challenge. THe dog was VERY hyper and uncontrolable! My husband always had mini poodles and they are great with kids! I think it just depends on the individual family and how much time you have to invest in the new member of the family! Good luck!

I would get a beagle. Not only are they very cute and loveable, they are awesome with small kids and they are easy to train to potty and they are awesome dogs. I have one and it is so very loveable and smart. Very easy to take care of. I also have a 4 1/2 year old. They play very well together. Well I hope this helps!! Have a great day!!

I went through this last year, and I kept saying no because we don't own the house. Of course between aunt Marsha and Daddy guess what showed up, you got it a puppy. The only dog I ever wanted if we got one was a Pug. The are really good with kids, and small. My boys play with him all day, I swear they can do anything and the most he does is bark at them and than run. We got our pug when he was 8 weeks old so he growing up with the kids. But, that is what I would suggest for a small dog that is going to be good with kids.
I also grew up with one and he thought he was a kid. Everywhere we went he we, swimming in the pond or my favorite was sliding, he would get on an old car hood and slide down the hill, stand at the bottom and look at you to come get the hood so he could do it again.lol
Good luck in choosing a dog.

1 / 3