4 Yr Old Girl Masturbating Against Stuffed Animal

So, my little girl has developed an interesting relationship with her stuffed zebra! I know masturbation can be normal at this age, but with a stuffed animal? Has anyone else noticed this?

This is normal behaviour. Toddlers are all about new sensations and if they discover that something feels good then of course they will want to do it more/again. You have gotten good advice already and I just wanted to add my agreement with them. Explain to her that it is OK and to keep it private and in her room. It is very important, whatever your religious or moral beliefs, that you do not make her feel ashamed or "bad" about it. This can set the foundation for issues later on.

Yes, and it's totally normal and age-appropriate for most kids.

If you see any other unusual behavior, or it is happening extremely frequently there might be a reason to be concerned.

If you prefer she not do it in front of family or company, suggest that it is something she can do in private and ask her to take her animal to her room.

C. - Stuffed Animals, pillows, blankets...they are all soft.

It's totally normal. My sister used a soft bunched up blanket, and when I was a preschool teacher (long ago) I saw a child here or there at nap-time using their stuffed animal for masturbation.

As everyone else has said, it's completely normal. Soft objects are often preferred, and the zebra is soft! :) Again, helping her understand that masturbation is a normal act not to be ashamed of but that it's also a private one is the way to go. Good for you for asking the question!

Yes. It's completely normal. I used to work in a daycare and at nap time many kids, especially the girls, would use anything and everything they could.

1 / 3