4 Year Old Won't Sleep Alone

Any ideas on how to make my 4 year old girl sleep alone? She says she's afraid of the dark. Every night it's a
struggle to get her to go to bed.

Thanks so much everybody!!! I took a little advice from all of you. I did have a night light already and I always leave the hall
light on. I did get a brighter night light and I leave her Strawberry Shortcake DVD on until she falls asleep. I'm also watching more
carefully the TV stuff she watches with her big 11 year old brother. I don't want her scared. This idea is helping, but last night she
snuck into my bed again in the middle of the night. I think she just likes the warmth of a body next to hers. It's getting better, but
she's still not 100% happy about sleeping "all by myself".

My 4 year old is also afraid of the dark, she says there are monsters so I did buy her a nightlight and also spray monster spray in her room before she goes to bed..monster spray is easy just a water bottle with water in it add a little perfume to the water so it smells good. Hope this helps

I would try putting a night light in her room and sleeping with her in her bed until she falls asleep and praise her in the mornig and tell her what a big girl she is for sleeping in her bed.

I had the same problem and I let my girls pick out a special lamp for a nite light and put a 15 watt bulb in it (just enough light). I also let them listen to their favorite music turned down low (it plays all night in case they wake up it also drowns out any noises they think they hear). It has worked wonders. Good Luck!

Have you tried giving her a lamp on in her room? Both my children 7&9 have lamps in there rooms, they turn on when they go to bed. I just turn them off when i go to bed.

Have you tried sitting on her floor near the door? Every night you position yourself closer to the door and eventually sit outside the door. Also, find her a special flashlight that she picks out and place in her bed. She may not turn this flashlight on unless she is alone in her bed and feels scared. Even if you got up in the middle of the night and find her asleep with the flashlight on....at least she is sleeping in her own bed!

I had the same problem with my son when he was 4. I would lay down with him in his bed long enough for him to fall asleep.
Then after a while he adjusted cause he would wake up every morning an realize I was not sleeping with him all night. But he's adapted now!

M., have you tried a night light? If it's too dim, what we did and still do with our 7 year old is we leave the hall light on and leave her door ajar. She also has a wind up music box that we play for her after we kiss her goodnight and tuck her in tight. It's a simple ritual that works great for us!

http://www.sleepsheepandfriends.com/turtle.html

Check this out-Twilight Turtle-it project pretty stars over the whole ceiling. You could play a peaceful CD, put this on. Just a thought.

1 / 3