4 Year Old with Sudden Nose Bleeds.

My son started having nose bleeds a little over a week ago. We have ruled out clotting issues and of course he did not have an injury to his nose. So the doctor gave me nasonex. I forgot to give it to him one day and he had another bad nose bleed. So is this normal for this to start at all of a sudden? Has anyone used nasonex to treat this? And if you are having this issue how long can this last a few months? Or will I be dealing with this for awhile? I just think it is strange that this is all of a sudden happening. Any thoughts or experience this are welcomed! Thank you! Oh and his not only having them at night but in the day as well. And they have stopped since he has been taking nasonex.

in my years of teaching preschoolers, it can be cause by allergies, picking the nose, or infection from having shoved something up their nose that may stillnbe there ( usuaaly has green snot involved and sinus infection as well as some bleeding)

I'm no Dr or nurse but it sounds related to sinus and allergy.

It happens to me at certain times when something triggers my sinuses/allergies. I use Astelin and it works for me. If I sense my sinuses feeling stuffy or tight, I make sure to use the Astelin.

At first it was a little scary because it did come on suddenly, mostly at night or early morning and it is very sporadic.

My 9 year old step daughter has really severe nosebleeds, and the cause seems to be related to allergies. She's had them ever since she was around 4 years old, too. It can be so scary to see the gushing blood, but the pediatrician keeps telling us not to worry. Last summer, we had one of her nostrils cauterized, but it only solved the problem for a little while. Hang in there!

I had spontaneuous nose bleeds as a child & occasionally still get them at 25. They were more frequent in dry conditions in summer & when heaters run in the winter. You might try a humidifier at night in his room. I was told they are caused by weak capillaries.

My son has killer nosebleeds that started around the time he turned 3. Every Dr I talk to says not to worry (of course they're not the ones up in the middle of the night!) We never used nasonex - we used afrin. Not on a daily basis, only on nosebleed days. The docs always tell me to keep his room air moist with humidifier, keep his nostrils moist by putting a little vasoline in each nostril every day. Other things I've done - pinch nostrils closed for about 5 mins or ice pack on the nose. My son is now 9 and unfortunately the nosebleeds haven't gotten better. What we use now is called QR Nosebleed. I get if from a school nurse supply website. It's a powder that you put on a q-tip type applicator and stick up the nose. When the powder comes in contact with blood it immediately forms a clot. Every Doc I've talked to says the same thing - he'll grow out of it.

My daughter, now six, used to get them a lot and still does now and again. They have very fragile little capillaries and, at least for mine, dry weather, heaters and ACs exacerbate the problem. My MIL who lives in Arizona gave her these little pre-gooed sticks called AYR. You can get them at Walgreens. They just swab it around in their nose and it moisturizes the nostril. When she is having problems we do it in the morning and night, and when I am consistent, they totally go away. It is worth a shot. I am a fan.

1 / 3