4 Year Old with Red Rash on Her Privates

I don't know how to ask this or explain it. I have a 4 year old that has a red rash on her privates, close to the folds but on the skin. She said that it is sore sometimes. That usually means it is red. I have tried diaper ointment. Sometimes that helps but not always. I always make sure that she is dry after going to the bathroom or having a bath. I don't let her have a bubble bath as I have been told that can be a cause. Any advise would be great

I must say thanks to all for your responses. I tried lots of things and nothing worked!! I took her to the dr. and got some cream which seems to be working great after only a couple days!!

Have you had the doctor look at it? It could be a yeast infection in which case diaper creme wouldn't help.

Try to put baking soda in her bath. My daughter is always getting diaper rash, she gets baking soda in every bath.

T.,

I have had this happen to my daughter when she was little. It is just like when they are babies it is caused by moisture in there panties. All you have to do is give her a draft bath a couple of times and it will go away. After that I don't recommend that you give her baths but for this to clear up you will need to give her a Draft bath. Draft has something in it to clear most anything up rash wise. Draft is just detergent for babies. Please let me know if this works for you as it has for me and many of my friends.

J. D.

It's not uncommon, so don't worry. One thing that really helped my daughter is we "dry scrubbed" her private parts before adding soap to the washcloth (just had it wet with bathwater) and then washed the rest of her body with soap. This was recommended by her pediatrician and it's working great so far. No redness, and it's been about 5 months!

Take some acidopholus and mix it with a little cool water to make a runny paste and pat it over the area. It'll clear up quickly, usually within a day or two. My daughter (now 11) used to get it regularly, and even had prescriptions for it. Nothing worked as well as the acidopholus. If she'll eat it, give her more yogurt as well, but try to make it a healthier brand with live cultures.

Try baking soda sprinkled in her bath water. Does the trick for my four year old daughter. I probably use about 1/2 cup to a cup.

It could be a yeast infection! Try an over the counter antifungal cream first and if it doesn't go away, see your doctor. My daughter had the same thing on her bottom...it was red and bumpy and itchy. I called the nurses line and this is how they said to treat it. Good luck!

Tracy,
My daughter has the SAME thing BUT I have been catching her looking at her self down there so could your lil one be doing that. It freaked me out b/c she was sort of experimenting and wondering what it was all about down there and I was like UM AVERY you should not do that hun. I know my daughter is 4 and she will go to bathroom on own and will wipe but NOT good and it does get bad with that as well. I have kandoo wipes she uses and I try to tell her to go from FRONT to back but I know your concern I have been there. I have a cream my mom has I put on and it works GREAT. Good Luck.

1 / 3