4 Year Old with Bladder Infection?

I think my daughter has a bladder infection. She couldn't pee before bed tonight because of the pain. I will start giving her 100% cranberry juice in the morning and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the discomfort she has when she tries to pee. Also, are antibiotics absolutely necessary, as I would like to avoid them. Thanks!

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I know more about bladder infections then I ever thought possible. Seems I may have jumped the gun, though. In the morning she peed normally and there are no signs of an infection. I am thinking that she just needed a bath, we have a new baby and things are a little chaotic!

I wouldn't give her 100% cranberry juice. You would need to do maybe half juice and half water so it is not so strong. Push her to drink a lot of water as this will help too. She does need to see a Dr. as soon as you can get her in. Unfortunately bladder infections can cause worse infections in us females such as Kidney infections. They will only put her on antibiotic if it is necessary. Good Luck!!

M.,

STOP! the cranberry juice. The little ones can't handle it, this is a help for adults not children.

You need to get her to the pediatrician immediately for antibiotics. Is she running a fever yet? You need to get her on antibiotics today, and pick up tylenol and motrin to have on hand. She may develop a fever even after you start her on the antibiotics. Give her tons of water, or gatorade would be better if she'll drink it.

Unfortunately I've dealt with many UTI infections with my 3 1/2 yr old daughter. The doctor's finally diagonosed her with bladder reflux a year ago and she now takes a low dose of antibiotic daily.

UTI infections aren't something to mess with. The kidneys are still developing and can be scared if the infections get too bad. And the cranberry juice is too concentrated for the kidneys at the young ages as well.

Kind Regards,

Yes, antibiotics are necessary for bladder infections. Especially being so young. I would try and continue the cranberry juice, however, I would get hold of your doctor. A child's bladder is not something you should deal with, with out, a repeating episode where you know what you have done, and it has worked, until then, work with your doctor for her sake, and yours. Take care and Good Luck I will be praying for her.

I am so amazed by how strong you are. Congratulation in your births of your children, Do you home school also, or are you thinking about it when they are of age? Curious, I think it is awesome, your strength.

I get them all the time and the best thing that I have ever done is to take vitamin C. For and adult you take 2000 mg a day, but for a four year old I think that you should start with only ###-###-#### mg. It is a great thing to use because you cannot overdose on it. And since your body can't absorb that much vitamin C it flushes the extra out in your urine, making the urine so acidic that the bacteria can't live there. This is also good because vitamin C is not expensive. You could also try going to a health food store and getting D-mannose ( not sure if that's spelled right). It is the simple sugar found in cranberries that get rid of the bacteria but it is very expensive.

Talk to your pediatrician, you don't want this to become a kidney infection.
SarahMM

M.,

Kind Regards,

There are some infections you can wait out, but a bladder infection isn't one of them. It can quickly and easily spread to their kidneys and cause irreparable kidney infections. Also, the worse the infection is and the longer it goes untreated the more likely it is that your child will have chronic bladder infections. It may seem that I am blowing things out of proportion, but my daughter has struggled with bladder infections since she was 3 years old; she is turning 9 next week and still has trouble.

Here are some notes we have learned on bladder infections over the years. Cranberry juice, even 100% cranberry juice, is not potent enough to treat a bladder infection. The sugar in it actually feeds the bacteria, and ALL cranberry juice has sugar; otherwise it is too tart to drink. You have to get cranberry extract supplements like Azo to do any good. Also, the cranberry extract is not a treatment for an active infection, but it can help prevent them. Once your daughter is free of her infection I would recommend having her take cranberry pills to help keep future infections at bay. Also, a high fiber, low sugar diet really helps. It keeps her insides from being more of a breeding ground for bacteria than absolutely necessary. Many bacteria that cause bladder infections are resistant to many antibiotics so after she is treated keep a close eye on her. She may have symptoms recur after a week or two. If she does, it's the same infection and you need to get a different antibiotic. This can happen over and over again like it did with our daughter. If it recurs more than once see a pediatric uroligist; pediatricians are just not good at treating stubborn bladder infections. If they persist they will do a VCUG and see if she has a physiological problem that is causing the infections. If she does they may recommend that you put her on an antibiotic long term. I would try to avoid a long term antibiotic unless absolutely necessary. There is new research that strongly indicates that long term antibiotic use, particularly for some of the antibiotics used for bladder infections, can cause Type I diabetes. My daughter is now a type I diabetic and I am sure that is what caused her diabetes. However, there weren't really any other options when she was 4. Now a child with chronic infections can have a procedure done called Deflux that is very simple, fast, and effective. Opt for that over long term antibiotics.

I know this is way more information than you wanted, but we have a long history of this and are just getting off of another set of infections so I have it on my mind now. Good luck! Also, I don't mean to scare you about the chronic stuff; your daughter will probably be fine. I just thought I would fill you in with some of the information we have learned over the years if it does end up being a problem.

Cranberry juice is so harsh it may only make it hurt worse. It's great for preventing, not so great once the issue has arisen. I'd get her in right away to avoid serious complications. UTIs (Urinary Tract Infection) of any sort progress very quickly. Left unchecked, she could end up with her kidneys infected, which usually has life long consequences. When I was working, the doctors' advice was always come in at the first signs, difficulty going, burning, strong odor, dark color, etc.

Danielle is so right. D-mannose is a natural wonder when it comes to getting rid of bladder infections. My husband is a paraplegic who has to use catheters to urinate, and tends to get bladder infections often. When he gets a one, we have him pop 2 d-mannose in water (it is not unpleasant) and the infection is gone, literally, overnight. I get it at our health food store. If they don't have it where you are,they are more than happy to order it for you. It isn't expensive- maybe $10 for a bottle that would last your daughter for 2 years. Three capsules in a quart of water (or juice) would probably suffice for a four-year old. Have her drink it all day long. The hurt when peeing is caused from sphincter contractions when she tries to urinate. One sure-fire remedy of yore is plain old watermelon. It flushes out the bladder lickety-split, dilutes the urine, and cleans things up. When the urine stays in the bladder, that's when the infections start. Kids love it, and you can have some fun with spitting the seeds together. Good luck. There are always alternatives!

Yes, antibiotics are necessary. I see here other responses have also stated bladder infections can lead to kidney infections. My daughter had urinary reflux as an infant and I learned right then the importance of treating bladder infections. Hope she feels better soon!

1 / 3