4 Year Old Wants to Know How I'm Going to Have My Baby

I am about 9 months pregnant and feel like I am ready to pop. My 4 year old son is getting very curious about how I am going to have his little brother. With my two year old my water broke while at walmart so it is a family joke and my 4 year old is catching on to it and asked if he broke my glass of water then would his little brother come. He also is asking how am I going to have the baby. How can I explain all of this to him without going into too much detail. He is very excited and wants to feel like he is apart of the whole process.

Hi A. - yes, I remember that question well. I thought I was being SO wise. I told my almost 4yo son that moms have a special place on their bottom where babies come out.

My son's eyes got really big and he got a huge smile and then he ran out of the room yelling "Dad! Dad! Mom's gonna poop out my baby brother!"

Hope you have better luck than I did! : )

I haven't read all the responses so hope I'm not being redundant here. In our family, we talk openly about everything our bodies do -- proper names for body parts and such. My daughter was 2 1/2 when our son was born and she was involved with every stage of the pregnancy -- well, almost every stage :0)

Throughout the pregnancy we watched with her episodes of A Baby Story on The Learning Channel -- a reality show that follows pregnant women through the last days of their pregnancies and onto the births. We also talked extensively about how the baby would be born. I'd say things like, "Mommies have special body parts -- a uterous where the baby grows and a birth canal -- it's like a little tunnel -- where the baby will come down and out so we can meet him."

We had a water birth at a midwifery center and my daughter was present for the birth. She was fascinated to see her baby brother for the first time -- the birthing process itself was just a nonissue for her.

Every child is different, but I'd say to start watching Baby Story with your son and let him be part of the magic... if you talk to him about the "process" in a matter of fact way and let him see other families during the experience on the TV program, he'll grow comfortable with the whole idea and it will be no big deal at all.

Avoiding the subject, or approaching it with trepidation and uneasiness could cause him to attach a strange stigma to this natural experience like so many in our society already do. The human body is magnificent, and I think it's great to show children that in every way possible.

Congrats on growing your family, and good luck with everything!

My daughter was 4 when baby brother came along - I didn't get into how the baby got there-- just told her Moms have to push babies out, kinda like going poopie. Was enough info for her - in fact, I was surprised that didn't prompt more questions! LOL My opinion is they're too little for all the details, but just old enough to be curious how this is all going to happen. Good luck finding the right amount of info for your guy! :)

my friend's son noticed that girls had different 'peepers' and asked why. She explained to him that girls have two holes and one is for a baby to get out and that is why they are different. That was enough for her 4 year old.

My husband suprised me by handling this one himself. He usually shies away from this sort of thing. He told my barely 5 yr old that girls have a hole in their body to let babies out. I think he said that it's usually small, but it's stretchy so it can get bigger for a big baby to come out through.
Then he went on to explain that the doctor has to cut babies out of me. he cuts a hole in my belly and pulls the baby out. Of course, we also talked about anesthesia, and that it doesn't hurt when he cuts me.

I was surprised that my son didn't ask any more questions. Seriously, yesterday i had to explain the mid-Atlantic ridge and Pangea, because he asked if in 20 years, Idaho would be south of the equator (he loves earthquakes, plate tectonics, volcanoes, etc). Not asking more questions is not normal for him, but what we told him was plenty to satisfy his questions.

While I haven't had to explain for myself,but we have friends who are pregnant. When she asked me, I told her that our friend would go to the doctor and he would help the baby be born. That was enough at 4. At five I had to go into where, so I told her mommies are given a special place for the babies to be born. So far I've gotten away with keeping it that simple. I didn't offer up more than what she asked. Your best bet is to keep it simple and honest. Best of luck and good wishes for your new family member coming.

Have him watch a episode of the baby story. My daughter at the time 2-3 watched it with me and knew where babies came from. She would ask questions and I would answer using medical terms. She got it and a few years later informed her older brothers and cousin because they all thought they came out the tummy.

How cute is that...but I can totally appreciate your dilemma. One option is to tell him that mommy is going to have the baby at the hospital, just like he was born, with the help of the doctor. If he asks how does the baby come out of your tummy...just say that you're going to squeeze him out with your love. Worked for me :) Good Luck :)

1 / 3