4 Year Old's Birthday Party

I'm trying to figure out what to do differently for our soon-to-be 4-yr-old son. The last two years we had a smimple party at our house with food, fun and I added games last year. I'm looking to do something outside the home - but that doesn't cost a complete forture. We'd have about 10 kids and a bunch of adults. Any great ideas ? We're in upper Westchester.

Thanks to all of you for so many great suggestions. It was a huge help and gave me lots of inspiration. My son so far is still saying he wants his party at home - but we are leaning towards the suggestion of the party at Teatown and looked at the party room today. Our son loves hiking there - so we may end up doing it there in a couple weeks. Thanks again - I'll file away all these ideas for the future years.

McDonald's (the ones with the play centers) are usually a big hit with kids! They are very inexpensive and include happy meals and there is food for adults (salads, etc). I've never had a bad experience at a McD's party.

Hi P.!

You can try the local YMCA. Usually the rental is not very expensive and I hear they do theme parties. Also, community centers usually don't charge a fortune and the kids can run around and play. Another option is a park with an outdoor pavillion so that if it does rain you won't get drenched although, what can a bunch of kids do while it is raining or cold? So it all depends on when exactly and what you have in mind.

How about a craft at a hobby store like Michael's or AC Moore. It's only a couple of dollars a child and you can bring in cake or cupcakes.

Hope this helps

Hi P., What month is your party? A picnic is fun for all ages. My grandaughter will be 4 on May 24 this year. We have her party at a campground where her family goes for the weekend. Everyone brings a dish to pass and the children play games outside. Hope you enjoy what ever you do. Just being together will make it special for the family. God bless, K.

How about a party at a local firehouse. My kids just attended one this weekend and they got to ride on the firetruck,etc. and it was alot of fun.

P., When my daughter turned 4 (almost 17 years ago - it goes really fast!), we had just moved from upper Westchester Co.,NY to Dutchess Co. So that she could see her pre-school friends one more time, we had her party at the Jewish Center in Yorktown Heights. It was a "gymboree" type of party. The center supplied the adult leader for all the activities and set up tables and chairs. We supplied the cake, juice and paper goods. It was great. The kids and parents loved it. And the only clean-up we had was the wrapping paper and the tables. Don't know if they still do that. I don't remember it being too expensive - because we invited her entire class!
-R. P

My son just turned 4 in january and I had a b-day party for him at our local bowling alley. We did bumper bowling and he loved it! It cost a certain amount for each kid and included pizza, paper products,soda,and clean up. I'm sure different alleys may do it differently but it was affordable and I have been pretty tight with money since Christmas. I also had to pay extra for pizza for the adults. Another suggestion is Mcdonalds. I did that last year for him and that turned out pretty good too.I have 5 kids and dont do birthday parties at home anymore once they are old enough to enjoy something like bowling.For one-- no clean up! lol and I found I dont spend much more out then I do at home with food, snacks,ect..Oh and chuck-e-cheese is another idea if there is one in your area only here I found it to be a little pricy.

There are so many cool places check the local parent paper... try the Little Gym. However, family is most important .. so I like the sound of home,simple, family, friends...

Take the party to Mac Donalds, have your party there.

A trip to a Zoo or farm is a great idea for 4 year olds. Also a gymnastics place might have a party program that you could use. This way kids are exposed to other forms of recreation and it's a great marketing tool for the establishment. We also have a Children's museum near us in Poughkeepsie that has facilities for parties.

Good luck and limit the sugary snacks, think healthy.

L. S.

Try bumper bowling. I have done it in the past and the kids have a great time. The place usually provides pizza and soda. no set up or clean up for you and the adults can bowl too! One thing I learned is to make sure you have enough lanes so the kids keep moving, they tend to get bored if they have to wait long.

1 / 3