4 Year Old Throwing up No Temp

my 4 year old daughter started throwing up at 2 am today. out of a sound sleep she woke up and threw up. we took her temp and found it at 98.6. she fell back to sleep around 3 am, woke up at 8 am and was perfect all day...not really hungry but drinking like a trooper. she had a few chocolate chip cookies around 4 pm, that's all we could get her to eat. fell asleep around 8 pm and i heard her gag at 10:45 and found her not really awake, trying to throw up. i sat her up and she woke up. I put the little bucket in front of her and she threw up in the bucket, still...her temp is 98.5...what's going on ? she was perfect all day after that 2 am episode and again from a sound sleep needs to throw up.

Riley J - she is getting over a cold and had so much "cucks" coming out of her nose. It could be her sinuses. We'll see how it goes today and will take her to Dr. Brewer tomorrow. She loves "Her Dr. Brewer".

There's a stomach bug going around. My daughter had it - and her teacher said 10 kids (that's nearly half the class !) were all out with it. For her it lasted a couple of days - but then developed into a pounding headache and ear infection -so watch for those possible symptoms .

Normal temps are really common with stomach bugs. In fact, very very few come with a fever. Also, especially with little kids, about 1/2 the time when vomiting presents WITH a fever, it's not actually a stomach bug, but post nasal drip that's hitting their gag reflex.

Whenever my son starts throwing up at night, regardless of fever/no fever, I check his sinuses (tapping), and look to see if he's got mucous running down the back of his throat (you have to wait a bit after the vomiting). If either are positive I give him a dose of pseudoephedrine, which solves both problems in about 20 minutes. While it's only about half the time for kids in general, for my kiddo the vast majority of the time it's mucous hitting his gag reflex.

My guess is that it could be a cold. When my kids get runny noses, the post nasal drip bothers their stomachs and makes them gag (especially at night/when they are lying down). My kids used to sit up, throw up and then be fine. If the vomit is mostly phlegm, that could be it. Otherwise, could be a virsus and you should call your doc and ask when and if you should come in.

Sounds exactly like my daughter last weekend. My advice keep her hydrated and take her to her Pedi. Mine ended up in the Hosp. There is a stomach bug going around.

My 5 year old son did the same thing last week. Vomited 2 nights in a row, no temp, no appetite. He did complain about stomach pain several hours before the first time he vomited, but the actual vomiting seemed to make him feel a lot better. It went away in a couple of days and he's been fine. I think it was just a virus. Hopefully it's the same for you.

If it continues past a couple of days or she won't take liquids, I would take her to the doctor. Sometimes just calling the dr. and hearing that he has symptoms of something similar that's "going around" can be really reassuring.

Good luck and let us know how she does!

Mild case of food poisoning?
There is some problem I have heard of in adults where they get some stomach acid coming up into their esophagus...forgot what it is called.
Also, any nasal problems? Sometimes mucus in the throat can cause gagging.
I would keep her close for a while, just to make sure she won't choke on her vomit, and if it happens again, call the pediatrician.

Sounds like she has a stomach virus.. Just try to give her as many fluids as she can keep down. Putting a cool wash cloth behind her neck will help calm her... I do not know why but it really helps stop the vomiting. . Also ginger and mint are calming for the tummy. Maybe some ginger ale or some mint tea would help.. If she could eat some bland food like crackers, chicken soup, popsicles, jello....
I AM SENDING YOU STRENGTH.

My daughter did this last month. She threw up twice and then stopped for about 12 hours and then threw up one more time. She didn't run fever either. I would just let her rest and in the morning just give her fluids. No chocolate chip cookies :) ( hard, I know. They can be throwing up and still want chocolate) If your docs office has a nurse line, you could try that. Or just let her tummy rest and see what happens. Good luck. I hate when they throw up.

1 / 3