4 Year Old Not Potty Trained at All...

My sister's son turned 4 years old in October. My sister has exausted every option she can think of to get him to go to the potty. She has tried all the little tricks and rewards and also has taken his pull ups off and put him big boy unerwear for severl days, just for him to continue to go in his underwear. He is a very stubborn child. It seems to me he is awfully old to be continuing to not go potty. If anyone has any suggestions, or has been in this situation, any and all advise would be appreciated.

When he makes a mess in his underwear, he needs to help clean it up. Once he has to clean up the pee and poop a few times he will probably decide it is better to go on the potty. She needs to give up the pull-ups for good. If he thinks there is a chance of going back to them, he will just wait her out until she gives in to the pull-ups. She may have to stay home for aweek or even a little longer but it will be worth it if it works. Good luck.

This is not the best time of year to do this with all the activity during the holidays. I have a very smart and stuborn son. What I had to do was pick a weekend and refuse to put cloth on him until he used the potty. He knew what using the potty was all about, he just didn't want to. I will not hit my children so I had to resort to extortion. Your sister is going to have to be ready to insist he help clean up if he is so stuborn as to make a mess insted of using the potty. But one day of being told big boys use the potty and only big boys deserve to wear cloth should do it. Make sure the house is warm enough to be safe but not so warm that he is completely comfortable with out cloth. Good luck and Best wishes, from the mom of one stuborn little man to another.

I would probably talk with his pediatrician. Maybe there is more to it than just being Stubborn.

My youngest did not want anything to do with potty training either, even at age 4. When she got put in a "big girl" class at school everything changed. If he is not in daycare, maybe a preschool class a few times a week. Being around other kids is what potty trained all 3 of mine.

I went through this with my daughter years ago. She was turning 4 and i had 4 days to get her completely trained or she was not going to be able to start the preschool she would be attending. I was told to put her in underwear and the plastic pants at night. I was also told that if she pee'd in her pants she wouldn't do it again. After that first night, that was all it took. I accomplished this in just a couple of days and she was ready to start preschool! I was amazed but she didn't like the feeling of being all wet like that and it worked! Good luck!

Deb Emery
Enter to Win FREE Candles!
www.usecommonscents.com

Sometimes you just have to let go. When they see that you dont care, (it does take awhile) they usually start going on their own. It has become a control issue. He can control his bodily functions, you (and your sister) cant MAKE him go, and good or bad, he is getting attention by continuing to soil himself.

If all else fails, and he likes the idea of going to school, tell him they don't let children go that wont go in the potty and that it's up to him to decide.

I've seen 7 year olds potty in their pants. I believe that it must be an embarressment to kids when they soil their pants. Then possibly they choose not to think about it knowing that mom will fix it for them. Sometime, he may have to have timeout or miss activities that he really enjoys as a reminder to stop and go to the bathroom. Slow him down and make him stand in the corner for a while.

well, i am kin da gfoing thorugh the same thing my son he will not go poop in the potty and he is 4 also.but try keeping him naky at home.... or wait until summer to do that..

1 / 3