4 Year Old "Itchy" Could He Have Jock Itch

I am waiting for our doctors visit, but I thought I'd ask if any fellow moms have had this issue with their little boys. My second son has been grabbing himself for quite a while now in the front and back. When asked what the problem was, he says he's itchy. I don't think it's simply growing issues as he explains the same kind of itch with his rectum. Since he's been using the potty on his own for a few years, he wipes well (I've checked). Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Does he wear PullUps or Overnights at night? My son had that issue, and the doctor felt it was from the night pullups and the heat. Even when he was in underwear alone at night he continued with the itch on hotter days. We did try meds, but having him in bigger underwear, not tight pants and using Gold Bond powder did help a bit. He no longer has that problem. I think it went away when he was about 6 or 7.

Hello S.,

I have a little brother and when he was that age he was itching like that. They found out that he had got worms. The worms you get from being in the sand box ( I forgot which kind those are). I'm not saying that's what he has, but it's something to think about. By any chance does he have a rash down there or is it just the scratching?? Just some thoughts. I hope the Doctor can figure out what it is. Don't worry it's probably something simple. :-)

N. M.

He could be allergic to something. Have you changed detergents or something that he is eating? Check out www.naet.com for a way to naturally and non-invasively ELIMINATE allergies.

Good chance that it could be pinworms. Jock itch is fungal and produces a rash. Pinworms are very common in kids, especially if they go to preschool or daycare. With pinworms, the itching is usually more intense at night. Definitely follow up with the doctor as planned. Good Luck!

A Little about me:
Married (12 yrs), full time working mom (PA in family practice) with 3 boys (6, 3 1/2, 7 months)

Sounds like pin worms. Ask your doc. how to check it out and if they will do a stool sample. Very common in kids his age.

No, sounds like pin worms. Check his rectum in the middle of the night about 2-3 am because that is when they harvest their eggs. You can't "really" see them moving, but you can sometimes see what almost looks like very small minute grains of white rice. If he has it real bad, you can tell by looking for a mucous like substance in the feces.

Walgreens has pin worm nedication over the counter, it is higly contagious, so even the slightest scratching of the bum will spread it to the front in both boys and girls. Also, if this is a new thing, and it turns out to be pin worms. Every one in the family has to take the medicine.

Good luck, I am nurse. Hope you find it out. Oh, if it is jock it, it will look like a yeasty thing hanging aroung and you can smell it. You can just spread lotrimin cream on him after his bath, just keep out of genitals.

I have 3 boys (and another one on the way!) ages 10, 8, and 4 and trust me...itching their crotch is a part of their life! But, my 8 year old has dry skin issues that sometimes turn into eczema. So to help him avoid an eczema outbreak, we use Aveeno body wash for sensitive skin, gold bond cream/lotion and powder for the itching and we wash everything in "free and clear" laundry soap (no perfumes or dyes). This helps A LOT. I think if your son had pinworms he would be constantly scratching his hiney hole, not just grabbing once in a while. It would be CONSTANT and REALLY BAD at night, and it wouldn't affect his crotch. And if he had jock itch, you'd see redness or a rash around the groin area, and again, the itching would be CONSTANT -- not just once in a while. Gold bond powder is a god-send for helping keep that area dry and cool, and the lotion/cream is great if the itching seems to really be bothering him. If none of that helps, I'd for sure get him to the doctor. Oh yeah...try having him use baby wipes after going #2 -- the flushable kind of course -- this really helps all of my boys with that itchiness problem in the hiney. Oh the joys of boys, huh?

Could it just be the heat? Make sure he's dried off well after baths and sweaty play, make sure his underwear is a good comfortable fit, and/or maybe it's just dry itchy skin - try some powder on after a moisturizing bath.

1 / 3