4 Year Old Daughter's Eyes Hurt

Hi there,
Does anyone know of a good remedy similar to visine for my 4 year old daughter? She is sick with the flu or cold (hasnt quite developed yet as it just started today with the fever), and is complaining her eyes hurt - like when you watch tv or are at the computer too much. Her eyes are a little red, and the visine bottle says to contact a doctor for children under 6. Any suggestions? Saline isn't working either.
R.

I have used on my boys (ages 2 1/2 and 1 yr) warm wash rags. That might help, it's moist and there is something with the warmth. Try that and see if that helps, it will also help her rest - closing her eyes. IF you wanted to get fancy you could put a sprig of lavender in it for armoatherapy :) K.

You really may want to consider taking her to the doctor. Often, this is a telltale sign of a sinus infection, especially if she has cold symptoms. Antibiotics are the main way to treat this.

Take her to an opthamologist or an optician to rule out pink eye. Alot of people are having problems with allergies now that the weather is hot one week and cold the next. Sinuses are a big thing here in st. louis. If you need a great allergist or opthamologist, let me know. I will send you there names.

Rachel,

This might be her way of saying she has a headache. Something to watch for. Good luck!

I myself wear contacts and use "artificial tears." They are more lubricating than just saline. Have you checked that option? They are made by Boston or Bausch & Lomb, but they aren't strictly for contact wearers, but I don't know about age recommendations.

Cucumber slices work great! I don't see any harm in giving her a drop or 2 of visine.

With every medication you'll want to get your doctor's approval,well at least I do. Try warm wash cloths for now while she's laying down.Call her Dr. about what other options you have.if it continues you may just need to take her in.Flu and fever you can treat with TLC

Take her to a pediatric opthamologist. I had to take my then 1 yr old there when we all developed viral pink eye and they gave her great drops for her eyes. Your pediatrician should be able to refer you to one. That's what mine did.

Is it possible that she has pink-eye?

1 / 3