4 Year Old Daughter's Eyes Hurt

Hi there,
Does anyone know of a good remedy similar to visine for my 4 year old daughter? She is sick with the flu or cold (hasnt quite developed yet as it just started today with the fever), and is complaining her eyes hurt - like when you watch tv or are at the computer too much. Her eyes are a little red, and the visine bottle says to contact a doctor for children under 6. Any suggestions? Saline isn't working either.
R.

I have used on my boys (ages 2 1/2 and 1 yr) warm wash rags. That might help, it's moist and there is something with the warmth. Try that and see if that helps, it will also help her rest - closing her eyes. IF you wanted to get fancy you could put a sprig of lavender in it for armoatherapy :) K.

You really may want to consider taking her to the doctor. Often, this is a telltale sign of a sinus infection, especially if she has cold symptoms. Antibiotics are the main way to treat this.

Take her to an opthamologist or an optician to rule out pink eye. Alot of people are having problems with allergies now that the weather is hot one week and cold the next. Sinuses are a big thing here in st. louis. If you need a great allergist or opthamologist, let me know. I will send you there names.

Rachel,

This might be her way of saying she has a headache. Something to watch for. Good luck!

I myself wear contacts and use "artificial tears." They are more lubricating than just saline. Have you checked that option? They are made by Boston or Bausch & Lomb, but they aren't strictly for contact wearers, but I don't know about age recommendations.

Cucumber slices work great! I don't see any harm in giving her a drop or 2 of visine.

With every medication you'll want to get your doctor's approval,well at least I do. Try warm wash cloths for now while she's laying down.Call her Dr. about what other options you have.if it continues you may just need to take her in.Flu and fever you can treat with TLC

Take her to a pediatric opthamologist. I had to take my then 1 yr old there when we all developed viral pink eye and they gave her great drops for her eyes. Your pediatrician should be able to refer you to one. That's what mine did.

Is it possible that she has pink-eye?

Rachel, My daughter and her family are going through this. I went on to the webmd site and this was the reply. Hope it helps.

Skin cells overlying swollen, puffy eyelids will crinkle and exfoliate afterwards. If you are describing viral pink-eye things should improve after 5-7 days. If redness, pain, or goopy discharge develop get to the eye doctor right away.

--
Check out my new WebMD blog 'Eye on Vision' by clicking this link: http://blogs.webmd.com/eye-on-vision/

I know that a lot of times when a child says their eyes hurt, they actually have a headache. This is especially true when they have a cold or sinus pressure. You can try giving her some tylenol or motrin to see if that helps.

The eyes hurting are the result of the fever and also possibly the flu. If her head is congested, then the pressure of the sinus cavities can also cause her eyes to hurt. You can do the following:
1. Boil some water until it steams. Then carefully have her breathe in the vapors which should help the sinus cavities.
2. Put warm cloths over her eyes or even cool cloths if her fever is high. Either of these methods will soothe the eyes and make sure she closes her eyes while the cloths are over them.
3. Sunglasses might help and she really just needs to be in a dark room which will help the eyes feel better as light, especially bright light will make her eyeballs hurt.

It should go away in a few days - I've personally had this before and so has my daughter.

www.homehealthcarebooks.com

My daughter has been complaining of dry eyes too, in her own way. She doesn't say anything, but she rubs her eyes and blinks hard once in a while. They also get a little flushed. The winter dry air is really taking a toll. I found that putting on a vaporizer near her bed works wonders. Also, getting her to drink more water and juice gets her eyes wet and they don't bother her anymore. I actually explained that drinking water would wet her eyes and she knows to drink some water if they bother her.

I use something called genteal gel. It turns to liquid once in the eye so not so goopy and blurry. also no preservatives and works great!! kind of expensive but worth it--just make sure you don't touch the eye or lashes with it so it doesn't get contaminated.

She more than likely has a headache from the fever. Give her Motrin or tylenol. I had this exact situation and our doctor says that is how most young children describe a headache. It worked with my son. Good Luck! S.

I would say to contact your doctor, it might be a symptom of something else. When I was in 7th grade, I had the measles and I was very sensitive to light the day or two before the spots showed up (don't remember if I had a fever). I doubt she has the measles, but it could be something besides a cold or flu.

there is a product called baby tears it is an eye drop that you can buy at almost any store they use it on people after eye surgery because it it just like your own tears it should be safe for a child.

My experience with this is guessing that her eyes are hurting because of the fever. Your eyes will feel hurt and look glassy and red or irritated because of the fever. Hope this helps.

You should take her to a pediatric opthamologist, as vision problems in young children are hard for parents and even pediatricians to catch. Every young child should go to one, just to make sure (they caught an eye disorder in my older sister that would have lead to blindness in that eye if they hadn't caught it). It could be nothing, but even if it is, it's good to have the checkup done anyway. I'm taking my 30 month old to one next week!