4 Year Old Complaining About His Feet

My 4 year old son has been complaining that his toes/feet hurt for the last couple of months. His big toes on both feet seem to have some peeling skin right above the toenail. We thought it was athlete's foot, so had been trying Lotrimin, but that hasn't really worked. I recently took him to the doc for an unrelated issue and asked to have him look at his toes. The doc said it was not anything fungal and to just try lotion and/or vaseline. We have been doing that, yet every night for the past week or so, he has woken screaming/crying that his feet hurt. We are at our wits end! Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Could be growing pains. My son had this as well and it was growing pains. I would massage his feet and give him some Motrin. Hope this helps....

This is probably not the case as it is very rare in kids, but, is it at all possible that its Gout? Gout usually is manifested by alot of pain in the big toe. Gout is a build up of uric acid that harms the joints. This does not usually happen to kids, as diets high in beer and animal protein can cause the build up of uric acid. Obviously your son isn't a beer drinker yet =) Google Gout and ask your doc about it. If it is just dry cracked skin on the underside of the toes, put heaping mounds of vaseline and then cover with thick socks for the night. Do that for a week. Maybe give him some motrin if he seems very incomfortable. My daughter gets the cracked toes in the summer from all the sandal wearing and you would think someone was killing her with the way she'll scream. (she is a bit on the dramatic side). If his toes aren't cracked, dry consider the Gout thing and don't let your ped brush it off. Good luck!

you need to take him to a podiatrist. They know the feet. It may be nothing to do with the pealing skin. Pain in the foot is something that needs to be addressed.

I agree with taking him to a podiatrist, or a dermatologist, even. My daughter has what my husband's family has, which is a thickening of the skin which causes extreme dryness and peeling, mostly on her feet. It can be painful, they told me, although it should be manageable. Anyway, it sounds like the peeling is new, so maybe that is not related.

Have you tried changing shoes & Socks? Maybe he is walking wrong? Or his shoe/sock combo are rubbing wrong? Have you had a shoe store fit him for shoes? I found out that I was fitting my son wrong. You can try a podiatrist. I have bad feet and complained to my M. when I was young. I have had to wear inserts ever since then. Good luck, feet pain sucks. But defiantly keep trying until your find out what is the cause. It sounds like something is going on.

Yes, my 5 year old on occasion asks me to rub his feet. He really gets upset and tells me how much they hurt. I think it may be growing pains...once in a while I'll give him a litte tylenol, but usually I just rub them and he falls asleep.

I would definitely take him back to the doctor and if the family doctor has no idea, request to be referred to a podiatrist. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion. A lot of the suggestions here are good ones but no one mentioned the possibility of a circulatory issue. My son has a vascular malformation in the calf of his right leg that causes the blood to pool in his foot at times, especially after running and playing around a lot and has caused varicose veins to form on top of his foot that he has had to have treated with sclerotherapy. Though it doesn't often cause him any pain and the VMA is hardly noticeable (just looks like a slight bump on the calf muscle), there are times when he complains that his feet are sore, especially his little toe for some reason. Though his VMA is somewhat noticeable, others are not. Chances are it is not a VMA or a circulatory problem and nothing serious and may even go away on its own, but it doesn't hurt to go back to the doctor for something that a child has been complaining about for more than a week or two. The peeling skin could just be coincidental and have nothing to do with the pain.

Hi Kari Take your son back to the doctor so we can further investigate the problem.

1 / 3