4 Year Old Chewing on Hair

my 4 year old chews on her hair all the time!! it makes me nuts its making her hair all nasty and hard to brush. I threatened to cut off her hair and she said ok... I really dont want to shave her head lol any ideas??? i keep her hair up in clips but its so fine it falls down..

You can try a pony tail for one and if the sides are short and will hang out, put them in barrettes or bows. Also, you can try to bribe....tell her that apparently she likes to eat her hair so she won't be needing any gum, candy, dessert, etc Whatever it is that she really likes. That would work with my kids! Or...you can put a hair gel or hair spray lightly on the ends that she sux on. I have gotten my hair in my mouth before b/c of the wind, etc and it tastes bad! Just until the habit is gone and then stop.

Good luck! W. M.

My daughter did the same thing. I had her hair cut short enough that it coundn't reach her mouth. It has grown out since then and she doesn't do it anymore. Sounds like all girls this age does this.

I was a "chewer". There are some real cute haircuts for fine hair that will just get the front portion, at least, away from her face. It can be just short enough to not reach her mouth.

After she is out of the habit, she can always grow it back longer.

Hi E.,

My niece did the the same thing. My sister-in-law finally resorted to cutting bangs and a short style around her face, leaving the back a little longer. It looked real nice and kept her from getting her hair to her mouth. This is what will help her break the habit.
Good luck! D.

Good luck! W. M.

It could be a sign of mineral deficiency - zinc and magnesium are two possibilities. When animals start chewing on their hair (like farm animals or rabbits) we automatically look at their diet. When humans do it, we don't think of it. Does she have white spots on her nails? That is also a sign of zinc deficiency. Many of us are deficient in magnesium because we don't eat enough green leafy veggies and it causes us to crave chocolate.

have it cut into a cute little swing bob. my daughter also has very fine hair, and the swing bob was her very best cut ever. it looked so much thicker, and was so much easier for me to wash and style for her. if she does not mind having it short, it is such a cute cut on little girls. unfortunately my daughter now wants it long long long, like Hannah Montana. i cant wait to outgrow Hannah.

I chewed on my hair even as a teenager. It's kinda a comfort measure. See if you can find something else she can use to comfort herself--basically it's like having a blankie or sucking your thumb. If you cut her hair, she needs to develop a new coping mechanism.

I'd cut it. I wouldn't want to, but it would be better to.

1 / 3