4 Year Old Boy That Is Hyper and Other Things

My son is 4-years-old and has always been hyper. This has never changed and I have pretty much learned to deal with this. However, over the past year it is getting worse because he is absolutely not listening to me. I have to tell him to do things about 5 times before he starts to listen, and by that point I'm frustrated. When I try to calmly sit him down and have a talk with him about what he did and I ask him what I just said he says "I don't know." I notice he just wants to move on to the next thing to try to get away from being talked to. He's always wanting to play with something or be moving. Lately I have noticed that he is becoming sensitive to noises. If things are too loud like the tv, or if we are at a family function and everyone is talking, he covers his ears and tells everyone to be quiet. I have no clue if this is anything but I have really noticed him doing this lately and I don't know why. I ask him if his ears hurt and he tells me no. I guess I'm just at a loss of what to do. We take him to a birthday party or a family function and he is so hyper I find that we end up leaving early because I'm worried what people are thinking about his behavior. Another thing that throws me is that he is able to sit and calm down at times (like when he is a little tired in the morning, or if he is watching a movie and there are no other distractions). I have talked to the dr. about his hyperness and I feel like he just brushes me off which makes me even more frustrated and makes me almost want to cry. I have researched things about ADD/ADHD and I'm just not sure. I feel like it is diagnosed too easily but then again I have no clue if he has something like that. Anyone else have any suggestions? Or experience this type of behavior?

Thank you all so much for all of the great advice! It's really assuring to know there are other moms out there that deal with this same type of thing. I am surely going to talk to the doctor the next time we go. Once again thank you so much and if you have any more advice please let me know!

I have a 12yr. old grandson that I thaught you were talking about. he has been on meds since he was 4yrs old and boy is there a huge difference. my daughter takes him off for the summer and I can tell he's not on them. he is a honer roll student, and only gets in trouble in school if he forgets to take his pill.[can't sit still or focus] I also have a 3 yr old grandson the same way but the doctor says to wait till he's 4 cause sometimes they out grow it. If I were you I'd find a different doctor. meds will help him and you I know it is very stressfull on you to. J.

4 is very young to dx ADD/ADHD.Most Drs will not pull the ADD/ ADHD label out until they are 7. But he does sound like he has some sensory issues.

I have a friend who's little boy(4 1/2) is just like that. She is doing evaluation through this goverment program that is FREE where specialist comes and observes a child(he is in preschool and they voiced some concerns). They are just in the begining of this prossess, but were already told that there are some issues. You might want to look and see if health dept in your county has something like this.

sounds, to me, as though you're dealing with 2 different things.

First, for both of my *very* active boys, I never (but never) repeat myself. If they do not do what they are told the first time - there are consequences (not after I've had to repeat and repeat). If your child *does* turn out to have an auditory processing problem or adhd, he's going to *need* the skill of following through with instructions the first time in order to deal with school.

Second, sensory sensitivity and/or auditory processing problems can look very similar, but both are very common, and can be dealt with effectively.

When you want your boy to do something: first, make sure you have his attention, and that he is looking at your face (make sure you stay calm). Make sure there is little or no background noise: go into another room if you have to. Tell him what you want him to do as clearly and simply as you can. Get a verbal response from him (either a "yes mama." or even if he asks a question to clarify what you want: whatever); finally, make sure he follows through right away.

Just a suggestion: good luck!
t

Find a developmental pediatrician to talk to. So many things are possible....sensory processing disorder, ADD/ADHD, Aspergers, etc. Once you start researching different disorders, they all start to sound the same and your son will start to fit all of them in one way or another!

Most importantly don't let your pediatrician brush you off. If you are concerned continue to push until you are seen by the right doctor.

I just want to offer a suggestion. Your son sounds like my daughter when she was that age--and she does still have issues which we are working on. It sounds like your son might have a sensitivity to noise. I have this problem and I believe my daughter does as well. We all tend to get bothered by lots of noise. However, for some, the hearing is so acute that when the TV is on and someone is talking and maybe other noises are going on as well, it is hard to tune things out. It has a name and I am totally tdrawing a blank right now. I had my hearing checked because there is an issue in my family and it came out perfect. When i asked the doc why I feel I have to talk louder to someone right next to me when the noise is 25 feet away or so, she mentioned this. It has to do with sound overload. The recommendation for it is to have a little quiet time each day, about an hour or so if possible. Otherwise at least 1/2 hour. This could be why your son can easily sit through a movie--nothing else is going on. You could check into ADHD but my d came back as not 2 times.

Updated

I would go back to the ped and ask about testing to be done , not sure if it is the same thing nation wide but here in VA we have child find , it is free for kids who are under 5 , it does sound like he has some kind of sensory issue going on.

This sounds quite a bit like my son. He just turned 7 and was diagnosed in November with ADHD combined and an accompanying anxiety disorder. The ADHD is obvious. It's the anxiety that people don't understand. He gets sensory overload in noisy, crowded areas and his brain goes crazy trying to keep up with everything that's going on (ADHD), but then he just breaks down and has a panic attack from all the stimulation. He's been that way since he was a baby. My husband's family likes to open Christmas presents one at a time so everyone can see it, but every time a gift was opened the room would erupt in cheers, laughter, etc. and my son would go crazy screaming and crying. I had to go sit in a bedroom with him until it was over. My son's dr also told us there wasn't really anything we could do until he was older other than just not put him in those situations, or at least not for long periods of time. We also decided not to medicate until it interfered with school work, which it did this year in 1st grade. It's kinda funny though, my son can also sit and watch tv/play video games/read a book for hours without interruption.

Anyway, we have charts for everything he does every day. We use the timer on the stove as motivation to do his 15 minutes of reading, 15 minutes of piano, pick up toys, etc. When we need to talk to him, especially about something important, I get down to his level, put my hands on his cheeks and make sure he is looking me in the eyes. There are good days and there are bad days, but it's all manageable.

I would suggest you to take him to the pediatrician and have him tested. It doesn't have to be ADD/ADHD but it could be something that could be treated w/o meds and he would get better. You can ask your pediatrician to send him to see a behavioral specialist. Whatever it is, you need to nail it down and get him the helps he needs. The doctor does not have to agree with you, but be firm and tell him you want him tested. He might think that he is just spoiled and that there is nothing wrong with him. But you know your child better than anyone else. If this doesn't work with your pediatrician, then change and get someone that will listen to you.
If he gets diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or anything else, don't give up and pray for him. Prayers do miracles, I've seen it.

1 / 3