4 Weeks Pp-c Section-feeling a Tugging at Incision Site. Is This Normal?

I am 4 weeks postpartum from a c section. My dr said that after a month most women begin to feel somewhat "normal" again. While I've regained alot of mobility back since birth I am nowhere near feeling "normal." I feel a tugging/pulling in my lower abdomen near the incision site when I stretch, sneeze or cough. I am wondering if this is normal by 4 weeks pp? I am most concerned about this particular lingering problem and feel like it shouldn't be that bad by this point. I still cannot walk around very quickly--If I walk too fast I get pain in my abdomen/incision. My stomach is also very bloated still and hard to the touch--it is also very tender and painful when pressed. I get random recurring pain in my lower left side if I have an active day. Has anyone also had these experiences? Does this get any better? :(

I just wanted to thank all the ladies who took the time to respond! You really helped ease my mind a lot. I went to the dr.s and he told me to give it time so that's what I did! Around 6-8 months I was pretty much back to feeling like myself again--I even started jogging again. The tugging and strange pain has gone away completely and I now only get an odd and very manageable pain at the incision site even though it is fully healed. This happens maybe once every few months and its not really all that painful at all. So for women who are currently in this situation and reading this question--def check in with your dr in case anything is wrong but know that it can take awhile to heal from a c-section and that it does get a whole lot better!!

You can have A LOT of scar tissue and nerve damage - which is all normal for a cesarean. The lovely things you need to know BEFORE a c-section but the Dr didn't tell you.

I still have severe cramping pain when I have to poop because of all the scar tissue I have, AND I cannot feel most of my belly underneath the belly button to the scar.

Oh it will be sore for some time. I've had 3 c-sections and pregnant with another and this one will be a scheduled c-section as well. Every woman heals differently but I can tell you that 4 weeks is too soon for you to expect to feel normal. My incision was no where near feeling normal at 4 weeks postpartum. Your mobility will improve as will your ability to move faster. My doctor may be considered "old school" but he said for the first 2 weeks do no lifting other than carrying the baby, no driving a car and no up and down stairs...for the first 2 weeks. And, I can tell you that I was very sore for some time past 4 weeks! Your tummy will be bloated and hard and sore. You shouldn't be having any active days. Where is your husband or family to help you???? It gets better but you need to remind yourself that not only have you just had a baby, but you have had major abdominal surgery. Lay off the activity and rest as much as you can. If you don't, you will hinder your recovery.

This is a major surgery! I like how the Dr. say it is routine, I told my Dr. it may be routine for you, but I do not routinely have someone cut me open! At any rate, it will take longer than 4-6 weeks to feel normal, it can take up to a year. I am five months post op and still feel a little twinge in the incision line every once in a while. Some women say it takes up to a year and even years after you can have some unusual feelings...

I would say normal - at 4 weeks I wasn't anywhere near healed. Also instead of having muscle that streches a necessary you have scar tissue so you may always have a slight pulling sensation depending on how you are moving.

But if you are that concerned, go see your doctor...

Doctors often explain C-sections as routine surgery but it really is major! I had the same kind of symptoms. At my 6 week, I asked my Dr. about the swelling/hardness around the incision, and she said it was from the stretching they do, beyond the cutting. She said it's totally normal. Either way, you should call your Dr. just in case. I thought I would never be normal again, but it does eventually get better!

I had two c-sections and after the first one, it took longer than a month to get back to "normal". I cannot remember the exact time frame but it was definitely longer than 4 weeks. I will say that after my second c-section, I recovered a lot faster. I don't know if mine was mental (first c-section was a complete surprise, second was planned) or what but my advice is to take it easy and recover!! A c-section is major surgery and that is at least an 8 week recovery. I remember having pain every now and then easily a year after the c-section. (sorry) Now, 8 years after my second c-section, it is rare for me to have any pain. Good luck. Talk to your doctor but I think that the pain is probably normal.

I had a c-section with my daughter. I remember the dr. saying the discomfort would be better in 4-6 weeks. It was more like 10 for me! Also, it still itches from time to time .... and my daughter is 7 years old!

Patience. Your body has been through a lot. A c-section is major surgery, so do what you can to rest and be kind to your body for a while. I know it's hard with a newborn. If those symptoms remain in the next couple weeks, alert your OB/GYN. Surely you have a 6 week follow-up visit scheduled?

I had a c-section too and I felt that "tugging" feeling for at least 6 weeks. It got better and better, from constant, to twinges, to nothing. It definitely took alot more than 4 weeks. It took about 3 months till I felt well enough to do a good workout at the gym. I've noticed the older I get the longer it takes to heal. I had an appendectomy at 13 and was feeling great 4 days later, then the c-section at 30 took 6 weeks to feel decent, and about 6 more to want to exercise. I also had bloating and stomach issues, terrible nausea, gas, etc- my Ob/gyn told me it was because when you get a c-section they touch your lower intestines/bowels, and that can affect some people for a time but that it's temporary. I would talk to the Dr. about how you're feeling, but I felt very similarly and it went away over time.
Best of luck, feel better soon!

1 / 3