4 Months and Straight Arms?! NOT ENOUGH TUMMY TIME?!?

So my baby boy is about to be 4 months on Monday.. and I feel a bit guilty. The reason I feel guilty is because I don't think I gave him enough tummy time. I am a new mother..and a Dr. told me to never lay him on his stomach..I took that literally...not just for sleeping. I eventually did my own research and saw that HE needed his tummy time. I read that he should be lifting his head with his arms straight out holding himself up. Well he does not do this, he holds his head up high and for a while..but he does not straighten his arms out and hold himself up that way.. Is this my fault? is there something wrong with that ? or is it perfectly normal to just hold his head up without using his arms.. I tried to give him as much tummy time as I could after I read he should have tummy time, but somehow still feel like I did something wrong. ANSWERS MOM I NEED THEM TO FEEL BETTER!

My son held his head up earlier than average, but was older than 4 months before he held his arms straight. I wouldn't worry about it. Every child develops at a different pace.

He'll be fine. I know of a baby that went with his granddaddy to work everyday and he just sat in his car seat the entire time next to him at his desk. That baby didn't know how to roll over till 6 months when his aunt took over caring for him. He's now a healthy running around 7 year old that can beat all the other kids. He'll catch up. All babies go at their own pace and he'll either take his time or speed up to crawling. No worries, just keep giving plenty of tummy time.

My kids LOATHED tummy time, so we didn't do a whole lot of it ... just little bits here and there because they'd get really angry. Not sure about the arm straightening. I don't think my kids did anything special. Just held the head up, plopped it to the ground and got fussy. I would give it some time and I suspect he'll do whatever he needs to with his arms. It won't be long before he's going to want to be moving/crawling and the arms will do what they need to then.

Oh, you're being too hard on yourself. If it makes you feel any better, my first son absolutely hated tummy time, so we rarely had tummy time. He started walking at 10 months old. My 5 month old doesn't really care that much for tummy time either. So, what I do, is I put him in his walker and that helps them with holding themselves up and also they see their toys on the trays and then they will reach out and grab for those. So, you may want to try using a walker, or some kind of similar activity center.

Tummy time is important, and I made sure I gave both my kids some of it every day, but I know that I didn't do it as much as I should have. WIth my 1st, I just couldn't bring myself to put her down, I loved holding her. My 2nd HATED to be on his tummy, he would only tolerate it for 2-3 min tops! My son didn't hold himself up with straight arms until he was almost 6 months (he's 8 months now). He would just rest on his forearms. All in a very short time frame he was holding himself up, rolling and sitting up. Now he is crawling everywhere and getting into everything and all he wants to do is stand. I am sure your son is fine, there is a wide range of what is normal for milestones. Talk with your pediatrician if your concerned.

He has plenty of time to catch up. Start now by putting him on his tummy and play with him. Get down on your tummy too. I think a lot of babies do not like tummy time because it is hard for them to interact at that level unless you are right there with them. At about 3-4 months my little one was almost always put down on his tummy and he got so used to it that that is what he prefers now. No worries! :)

He's only four months old- do not worry! :) Firstly, all babies develop on their own timetable, and four months old isn't old enough at all to worry about developmental delays! If he can't hold himself up with his arms around 6 or 7 months then I'd start to wonder, but if he can lay on his belly and lift his head up for a short period of time- he's doing great, and so are you! :)

It's so easy as a first time mom to think you are ruining your child but you really do learn as you go. Calm down, give yourself a break and remember there is no right way to do it. If there was we wouldn't be here asking each other for advice :) My son would throw up every time I put him on his tummy even if he hadn't eaten in hours. My pediatrician finally said "well stop putting him on his tummy then" it seemed like he would be ruined and truth be told he never did crawl. I would hold him up in a standing position to let him gain strength in his body and so he went straight to walking at 10 months old. Now he's 9 and he still prefers to lay on his back or side to sleep. He will be fine and I suspect you will be too. Good Luck!

1 / 3