4 Month Old Wont Sleep Through the Night ... Help!

My son never had a problem sleeping very well at night until now! He just turned 4 months at the end of November and this is when it all started. Some nights hes waking up every 2 hours.
Any sugguestions?
I should also add... started him on rice cereal in his bottle at night at about 3 3/4 months. He just recently started eating it with a spoon. When he wakes up and night, he will only drink about 1 - 1 1/2 oz of formula, so I dont believe hes hungry. His eyes are usually closed when he is fussing around and or crying, so I have reason to believe he is still in a state of sleep?!

Hi, A.,
Yes you are very lucky that he WAS sleeping through the night before this! Mine is now 9.5 months and he has never slept through the night YET! But I feel it is still pretty normal. Just try to get him back to sleep when he wakes up. His sleep patterns will change again. Maybe just pat his back and hum quietly to get him to go back to sleep.

4 months is exactly when my little guy started doing the same thing. It took me a while to realize he was genuinely hungry. I started feeding him a huge bowl of rice cereal with banana in it right before bed and he started sleeping through again. Plus this introduced him to "solids" and it was the perfect time to do so.

There is a great book called The Wonder Weeks and an even better website, askmoxie.com. You will find lots of information about development and SLEEP REGRESSIONS that occur during periods of intense change. You are right, he very well may be asleep when fussing and going through lots of brain rewiring. Good Luck!

he is probably hungry and may be having a growth spurt, nurse him back to sleep. My son did not sleep through the night until 9 months old. Try taking naps during the day when you can

This happened to my son when I went back to work, he also started teething at that time.

Hi A., we went through the same thing with our daughter at the same age. For her it was a combo of teething and developmental changes. We practice AP parenting, and i can never let my l.o. cry it out...Soo our solution was to move our baby from her crib into our bed...Now she sleeps with me, and feeds whenever she wants too..because i no longer have to get up to pick her up or put her back, even if i wake up it's only for a second to help her latch on. She's sleeping much better now, waking up only about 3 times at night...Sure it took some getting used to on my part, but i feel soo much closer to her now.

-J.

It must be something about the 4 month mark because the same thing happened to my son at that age and several of my friends' babies, too. It must be a change in their sleep pattern or something. After a few weeks, he started sleeping well again. If you think he's still in a state of sleep, you might try just leaving him for a few minutes and see if he goes back to sleep. My son went through a period of waking up sometimes several times at night and would fuss for 5 or 10 minutes, then go back to sleep. If it turns into a cry I'll go get him.
Jennifer

Believe it or not some babies start teething at this age, or it could be a growth spurt. Trial and error... Good luck!

Is he teething? You might want to check on that, it could definitely be a cause. If so, it will subside and he will go back to sleeping. I think we had some similar issues with our son, who is 20 months now and has been sleeping straight through the night.

Hi there,

I seem to remember 4 months being when our daughter stopped sleeping through the night as well. It could be teeth, a developmental change, anything really. Our daughter is now almost 15 months and sometimes she sleeps through the night and sometimes she doesn't.

Does your son seem to be healthy? If he calms right down when you pick him up then he is probably okay. But you could always have his ears checked to make sure he doesn't have an infection? But you'd probably know if there was something wrong.

One other thing we realized is that sometimes we were responding too quickly. We don't do the cry it out method (tried that and regretted trying), but you could try waiting just a bit before going to him and see if he gets back to sleep by himself. Doesn't hurt to try that a few times to see if he is just fussing a bit between sleep cycles.

Just try to be patient and remember that he'll be all grown up and sleeping through the night soon!

Good luck!!!

H.

1 / 3