4 Month Old Sleep Issues

I have a 4 month old son who was sleeping really well during the night. He was doing his last feeding around 10:00 and staying down until around 4:00. He would get up and nurse and go back down until 7:30 or so. We are using a kiddopotamus and he sleeps much better when swaddled. The problem seems to be he is getting stronger and "breaking free"! Then he wakes himself up touching his face and taking his pacifier out. Last night we were up all night pretty much. Does anyone have any tips or possibly another wrap that may work better for older babies? He is a big boy...weighing 17lbs already. If there is not a wrap that will work I am not sure how I get him used to sleeping without it. Any tips or ideas would be great!

Well, you better get him used to sleeping without it. He won't be swaddled for much longer and sounds like instead of asking how to keep him swaddled, realize he is moving onto the next phase in his little baby life. Get him used to things now with a few bumpy nights then you won't have any problems with him when he is two. Was he crying for the pacifier or not being swaddled? I would wean from both as they are habits you will have to break later. A few nights now or hell later when they are 2. I would choose now since he can't fight with you like a 2 year old can make tantrums over the paci or sleeping arrangements. When they get old enought to get out of the swaddle then it is time to start giving it up.

I also have been using a SwaddleMe blanket for my 3 month old. Like yours he is also getting strong and breaking free. I did find however that when I put it on him he breaks free, but when my husband puts it on him he doesn't. I don't think I get it tight enough. You might have someone else put it on and see if that helps any. Just an idea.

The Miracle Blanket SAVED OUR LIVES!!! We swaddled our BIG STRONG boy till he was 6 months old and he couldn't break out. I HIGHLY recommend it, you can find on line and if you don't want to wait for it to come in the mail you can find stores that carry it near you! Get 2 it's worth it!
www.MiracleBlanket.com

Hi K.!
My little boy, who is 9 months now, was a big boy like yours. He slept on his back for about 3 months and he would wake himself up by waving his arms and touching his face too. I put him down for a nap on his stomach and he slept so much better and longer than usual. He couldn't wake himself up anymore. That really seemed to help us. I know that the doctors tell you not to put them on their stomach and we got in trouble from our pediatrician. I tell you what though, he could move his head from side to side and he slept so much better I wasn't going to put him on his back anymore. I understand if you don't want to put him on his stomach but it is just a suggestion. Good luck!

I would try the sleep sacs. I put my 3 month old in them as if he were swaddled and then by the end of the night he has his arms in the arm part of the sac. It keeps them warm but at the same time they go to sleep feeling swaddled. Good luck. I have it say it only worked for a while and we are back to being swaddled, but it might work for you. Good luck.

Try swaddling him with one arm out for a bit. My son pulls his right arm out, so eventually I just left it out and he seems to do ok that way.

I have a son the same age and size as yours. He doesn't sleep well either, but when he is asleep he is wrapped in a long blanket. We don't really "swaddle" him, but just wrap it around him good enough that when the end of the blanket is under him he cannot wiggle out.

When our daughter got too big for her swaddling blankets, we'd just use two - one for the front and one for the back. It worked for us cheapskates.

1 / 3