3Yr Old Daughter's Anal Itching

Every time my daughter (3 1/2 years old) goes number two she complains that her anus itches. She's so uncomfortable she's crying and I have to drop everything so I can care for her. I clean her up and put a little ointment and she's fine. I always wipe her down after she's gone so I know she's not dirty. I asked her doc and she says there's nothing there. Any suggestions on why this is happening, is it normal, and what can I do to make it stop for good?

Thanks guys! I took Evelyn to the doctor and insisted on a stool exam and its in the lab. Doc wasn't really worried since she healthy. Just waiting on the results, please pray all is well.

I worked at a Pediatrician's office for about 3 yrs. and each and every time there was a complaint of anal itching the doc ordered a test for pinworms. The test consists of a small bottle with a cap that had a sticky plastic stick attached to it. And the instructions were to place the sticky sided stick around the anal area after the child is sleeping because this is when the pinworms come out to "lay" the eggs. They will then get attached to the sticky stick and it will get sent to the lab. The symptoms you are describing sounds like a case of pinworms, and don't worry it's nothing uncommon! :)

The only thing I can think of is parasites. I remember when I was little it happened a lot to me and my siblings. We were taken to the doctor and effectively is was worms or parasites whatever they call those things. Ask the pediatrician if a test can be done in order to determine. Good luck .

A. Hernandez

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the other Mom. Anal itching is caused by parasites, she needs to be treated ASAP. Tell your doctor that you want her stool tested for parasites. Besides medicines that may or may not be offered by your doctor there are also natural remedies. Check out your local herbal store or Whole Foods etc and ask for a child friendly parasite cleanse. Parasites are actually pretty common, in children and adults (think of all the anal itch creams and products!)Be sure she is drinking lots of water and eating plenty of fruits and vegetables to keep her "going" frequently. She should have a movement after every meal/this reduces the time that anything in the food has to sit in the intestines and well get comfortable.

Sorry not a pretty topic, but its better to know and help your daughter.
A.

I am no expert or doctor but it sounds to me like she is craving some mommy attention!! Its nice to have your favorite person in the world to pamper you and fix you up. Especially since the Dr. has confirmed there's nothing there, my suggestion would be to ignore the tantrums and spend some mommy time doing another activity....try asking if she wants to color, play ball or whatever her favorite activity is, if you do this while she is complaining of itching, it will distract her and maybe eventually she will forget the whole ordeal and learn she can just ask mom to read her a book instead of having a fit!! Try it, it just might work!

Def. check her for parasites and try a gentle cleanse but also consider some probiotics to improve her intestinal flora. Especially after a cleanse, she'll need to eat plenty of fresh veges, some fruits, whole grains, and cut WAY back on processed foods, fried foods, sugars, white bread and cuary cereal, juices, sodas, etc. Stick with water and the healthier options while you give her some kefir and a probiotic childrens' supplement. That way, once the cleanse is through, she'll have a healthy digestion pattern established. Good luck, and give some hugs to your Dd - this is almost over and she'll never even remember that awful itching!

I would take her to a doctor that will do a more thorough check. Sounds like a serious issue. Did your doctor offer any advice at all?

my husband had that problem as a kid (dont tell him i told you) and his mother cut all sugar out of his diet, exp sugared cereals and it cleared up.

I also thought of pin-worms. You should check her at night while she is sleeping. You will need a flashlight to check her.Good Luck

1 / 3