3Rd Grader Needs Math Help

My 3rd grade daughter is poised to fail 3rd grade because of math. She already attends once a week after school tutoring provided by the school, but it is not helping. She really needs help with basic math facts which I try to help her with, but she is not that receptive to me. Her school staff does not have any recommendations for outside tutors. I am considering Mathnasium, or another company that provides math tutoring, but really have no idea if they are worth it. If you have any experience with Mathnasium, or another tutoring company, please let me know.

Thank you, ladies, for your responses and advice. A neighbor just notified me that her mother-in-law retired from teaching elementary school last year in my district and she is interested in tutoring. I'm going to contact her. Thanks.

You might try www.time4learning.com It does a great job of teaching math basics. It is more focused on how to get the answer, rather than just getting the right answers. Also it is fun. I just hear from a Mom that started it last week, sahe is having a hard time getting her girl off the computer. My kids love it!! They have a 2 week free trial.

There are lots of free websites for math practice, but I love this one www.softschools.com/math/games/ BrainPop and BrainPop, Jr. are not free, but very useful, and way cheaper than those commercial learning centers. Is there a University near you? College students often tutor for extra money and kids really look up to an older mentor (not seen so much as just another teacher.)

Hi S., I just want to say "hang in there." We went through the same thing with my son when he was in third grade last year. Based on his teacher's recommendation, he was getting extra help during the school day, as well as having a private tutor at home. He was so stressed out, and complained of stomach aches all the time. However, he passed the math TAKS test and has done very well in math this year.

It seems like they have to master so many different math skills by the end of third grade (addition, subtraction, some multiplication & division, place value, money, elapsed time, etc., etc.) and it was just overwhelming for my son.

We had previously tried Kumon, which is a good resource for memorizing basic math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication & division). Students are given simple worksheets to complete when they come in, then go home with a packet of worksheets to complete at home, so it's not really tutoring. They will start out at a level that is lower than your child needs, but will increase the level of difficulty. There is no time limit for each set of worksheets, but the student is pushed to answer as quickly as possible, and to have as many correct answers as possible. I know this works well for some children, but it just created more stress and pressure on my son.

What seemed to work the best for us was setting aside 15-30 minutes a day when possible (even in the summer) to practice flash cards, do worksheets (I buy the Summer Bridges workbooks every spring from the bookstore), or play online math games. We also play games that involve money to help him build those skils. We set goals and my son would get little rewards for reaching those goals.

Maintaining his math skills and memorizing multiplication facts over the summer helped my son be prepared for fourth grade. This year has been so much better, and he has his confidence back. It's wonderful to see him working problems quickly (and correctly!). My son now says math is his favorite subject!

I think it's very important that your daughter knows you are on her side and just want to help her so that she feels better about math because it's a skill she will need her whole life. Wishing you the best during this trying time!

I don't know whether my response will be relevant but just in case, here goes:
I regularly visit my local library and they have a free service of homework help called "DASH" Dallas After School Homework Help. You just need a library card number, go to your library website and you can have access live to a Tutor everyday of the week from 3pm to 10pm.
I don't know if it's a good program (I've never used it) but it's free and surely worth a try!

If you are going to pay to have her tutored, your best bet would be to find someone who is a certified teacher who tutors on the side. Lewisville, Richardson, and Plano schools usually keep tutor lists. I charge $50 an hour, but I usually only tutor middle and high school students. Anyone under 12 only needs to tutor for 30 minutes in one sitting. My website is www.rainingnumbers.com

I am a mother of a 13month old and used to be an elem. ed teacher. I would love to help you out. I am in McKinney please let me know if you are interested.

The guidance counselor should be able to give you good insight on where to go. MANY PISD teachers tutor on the side. Expect to pay about $40 minimum for 1 hour.

IF the guidance counselor cannot help, go to the middle school and up guidance counselors. A lot of students are in NJHS (National Jr Honor Society)...Middle School and NEED hours to complete community service. A lot of higher grade students simply need extra money and would be glad to help.

One thing about teaching in Plano........make SURE the tutor teaches the same format as your child's teacher or they can get confused and make things worse.

My 14 yr old is in honors math and we see a tutor 2 times a month at $50/hr. This tutor is a PISD teacher on maternity leave because she has a new baby and the tutoring gives her the extra money she would like for the time being.

Hang in there Mom and Kudos for being proactive with your daughter.

Get creative and Best wishes!

I faced the same problem with my daughter when she was in those grades. I took her to KUMON, a Japanese math help franchise. They first assessed her and started her on a program of repetitive skill development at a level appropriate for her. There was no pressure except 20 minutes of daily practice at home was mandatory. This built up her skills and consequently her confidence in the subject. I continued her on this program till she finished high school. In all those years math was never a problem again! In fact she excelled in sciences as well because of this training and skill development. You will be glad to know that last year she completed her B. Sc. in sciences with honors. Good luck dear! Find a KUMON in your neighborhood. Please note that I have no affiliation with this organization. I am simply a smiling parent whose child was helped.

1 / 3