38 Weeks Pregnant

I am 38 weeks pregnant this week and was looking for advice or stories. I delivered my son at 38 weeks and everything went just fine. My water broke at work and we went to the hospital and was admitted. I am afraid that I'll have to actually watch the clock and count contractions and not know when to leave for the hospital. I've got about a 30-45 min drive because of the detour at 50 & 470. I've heard that your 2nd comes in about 1/2 the time as the 1st one did and my labor was 9 hrs from the time my water broke. I wasn't even having any contractions til we got further towards the hospital.
Also, my OB has already scheduled to induce me on the 24th, 3 days before my EDD. I've heard awful stories about being induced and would really like her to be born on her own before that. I'm looking for helpful ideas like...walking, sex, spicy food, massage, etc to help things along naturally. Thank you.
p.s. I was 50% effaced on July 31st but wasn't checked internally last week.

My daughter is due the same day you are and her doctor just won't cooperate with an induction LOL! She's walking on the treadmill a lot. I did some research and just don't feel comfortable with anything that would make this happen without it happening naturally. For instance, there is nipple stimulation. It's supposed to work. But it can cause the contractions to be hard enough to cause the baby to go into stress. There's herbs. But herbs really are meds that just are not regulated. I don't feel comfortable because I have read about bad outcomes.

Mostly, I just suggest you walk like crazy. The more you walk the faster you should dilate. How about you head to the hospital as soon as you think you are having real labor. Go ahead and let them check you. Then, if you are not dilated to a 4, just walk around the hospital halls as an outpatient while timing contractions. If you are in labor you will be getting closer and longer contractions. This way you are laboring right there and you can't make a mistake and wait too long.

Hi J.!
I was anxious to get our little one out, too, so I did some research online as my due date got closer. I'm not sure what did it, but I ended up going early! I remember getting a fresh pineapple from the farmer's market, cutting it up, and eating almost the whole thing. Sex, too, and I walked on the treadmill. I even walked 20 minutes the day I was in labor (I didn't realize it was the real thing - I'd been having Braxton-Hicks for 4 weeks.) I think that sped things along pretty well! Once I spotted and realized this was the real thing, our daughter was born 5 hours later. I tried spicy food, but I had eaten it all through the pregnancy, so I don't think the baby minded it. I still think the pineapple did it!

I was not induced, but I've heard the horror stories of the women who have been. I would not recommend it unless the baby or you is at risk, especially before your expected due date. That just doesn't seem to make sense. Wish you the best!

My second labor was only a little shorter than my first, so remember that each person is different.
Something that worked for my first to get him to come out... my doctor stripped the membrane to get things moving along. Less than 24 hours later, I was holding my son in my arms. With my second, he was born 4 days before his due date. Again, each person is different, but most of the second and third children seem to come a little earlier.

I just wanted to share something I've just read with you. I am also expecting (33 weeks along) and have been reading lots of books about birth, etc. I just read something I thought was interesting...that the 40 week time frame that is given as the norm for length of pregnancy is completely arbitrary. It was established by a German obstetrician in the early 1800's. He simply declared that a pregnancy should last ten moon months (ten months of 4 weeks each). However, when researchers in a 1990 study followed a group of healthy women they discovered that pregnancy in first-time monthers averaged 8 days longer than this, and the average was 3 days longer in women with prior births. The actual due date should fall within a 10 day window.

Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable being induced - you don't have to agree to it. Especially before your due date. I've heard of lots of doctors that don't even start with that until 42 weeks. I would think that you could talk to your doctor about feeling uncomfortable with that scenerio and your desire to wait and see if you go into labor on your own. I also had my son at 38 weeks, but with this pregnancy I don't plan on agreeing to any interventions unless or until there is a real need for it. I have also heard of personal stories about friends/family members being induced who had less than positive experiences. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will be allowed to go into labor on your own, as you desire.

RELAX!! easy to say, but it's the best thing you can do right now!

There is nothing evil about induction...all 3 of mine were induced due to a lack of progress during the active stages of labor & as a result of the baby's heart rate dropping. With my first two children, I used an epidural. With my youngest, I chose natural.

As for length of labor, #1 was 21 hours, #2 was 15 hours, & #3 was also 15 hours. My drive ranged from 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours! It can be done....& is done quite often.

Soooo, stop worrying & relax!! I wish you a safe delivery!

I was only in labor for 4 hours with my daugher, start to finish! So I was soooooo scared, half the time of that and I lived about 30 minutes from my hospital. But with my son I was in labor for 3 1/2 hours, start to finish. So not really half the time. You know your body and you will know when it is time to go and if it takes that long if you have the thought that this might be it then head over there, if the car ride does not get you going and you get there and decide no before you go in, then go home. Better a short ride in the car than to be too late! :)

I have 8 children, grown now, so in my day things were different. There were very few doctors who induced routinely. Now many do just because they decide to do it. I, personally, would not go that way. One daughter did with one of hers and said she'd never do that way by choice again. I do know that each pregnancy is different and your body changes and all of mine were born in about the same time except the 5th and maybe I just stayed home a bit longer with him since I had little pain to begin with. My 8th was the longest over due and not fast at all. I would be prepared to get there faster but you may not have that happen at all. Just live as if it's a pregnancy like any other and plan to be ready to go when you need to because you don't know. It could go either way.

Your Ob wants to induce you why is there a medical reason?You can cancel your induction if you want to.I would ask why you want to induce me.I have 3 children and refused each time to be induced before their due date.I told my OB it's not time there is no medical reason to be induced i'm haveing my baby naturally as possible.And that was it.Now for labor and delivery I was told to head to the hospital ASAP whenever I felt the contrations.My son was 6hrs total labor and delivery 3 pushes and I was done, daughter 45 min. 5 min of pushing, daughter barely made it to the L&D she was born from the time I left till I had her all in 30 min.With eachone I walked no sex it was to uncomfotable also shopping is good too.If you are having contrations and are unable to sit stand get comfortable head to the hospital this far along it could actually be labor even if its the beginning of it you maybe far enough along to stay in the hospital with help of Peticion to help your contrations get closer and stronger.Good Luck

1 / 3