33 Weeks Pregnant, Problems Breathing?

Ladies I need your advice. I am 33 weeks pregnant with our 3rd child and I have a new symptom that has never occured in my other pregnancies.... So I am looking for advice. This morning I woke up and felt like something was off, I didn't feel bad just not great. I went to 1 store and then out to luch with a friend, when I started walking back to my car- I got REALLY winded! I felt like I was going to pass out. Soooo instead of going to the grocery store I went home and laid down for awhile. When I woke up I was still having problems breathing. It's almost like I have to tell myself to breathe deeply - but I am still not getting enough air... I am not in any pain just winded.

Did anyone else have this? Or did you have this? Any suggestions on what to do to fix this?

Thank you!

Thank you soooo much for the advice ladies!!! I was glad to see that I was not the only one going thru this! I did go to my dr's today and everything is fine, his feet are riding just a little, ok ALOT high! And this should fix itself after delivery.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

I have three kids, and this happened every single pregnancy. It was the baby getting bigger and making my lungs not be able to expand fully. I was tired all the time and all it took to wind me was to walk from my car to the door.
Sorry I don't have anything that can help you, but at least you know it's not just you :)
Jen

It could just be the baby pressing up into your diaphragm, but I would definitely call my dr today just to make sure.

It is not uncommon for women at your gestational age to become winded. The most common reason why is that your growing uterus is now putting "pressure" on your lungs and your lungs do not have to room to expand as before. Also, because of your short-windedness, you are not receiving the oxygen that your body needs. At this point, the only real cure is delivery. Until then, it will be helpful to make slow movements (instead of sudden movements) and do deep breathing exercises. You also need to watch you weight gain because the extra weight will not help your problem. Other tips: Do not lie on your back for long periods of time, do gentle exercises to strenghten your lung capacity and do not panic whenever you become short winded. If you feel that you may faint, then you should sit/lie down immediately to avoid being hurt in a fall.

I don't want to alarm you, but if this persists get to the ER. I had similar symptoms in the eighth month of my last two pregnancies, and each time I had gone in to Atrial Fibrilation. I would feel alright if sitting or lying down, and could hold a conversation with no problem, but the minute I got up to move around, it was as if I were carrying a huge weight, and I'd get very winded and feel very faint. Check your heart rate. Mine got up to 190 in a stationary state. If your heart rate is very high I would go to the ER. If it is A-Fib, then they will get your heart back into it's proper rhythm with medicine. My cardiologist felt that the stress of pregnancy put me into A-FIb and wouldn't expect me to go into it again unless I were to get pregnant again. It can be a little scary, but you'll be fine as long as you get treated. Good luck!

You need to give your doc a call just to be on the safe side. Doesn't matter that it's Saturday-there is always someone to answer the phone and relay a message and have a doc call you back. You should never ignore symptoms like that. Could be nothing but much better to speak to the doctor about it. Like the nurse says at my OB-"that's what we're here for. Call anytime!"

I agree with the other ladies, check with your doctor. I wouldn't worry though. Both of my pregnancies were like this and it was just that the babies were so HUGH that they pressed against my lungs. My lungs were at "half-mast" lol!

If this is the case, a good chiropractor can move them around so they are not stretching on your lungs. Mine did wonders....

God bless and congratulations!

Jen

I am 33 weeks pregnant also- My c-section is on Memorial Day. I am having a similar problem but I believe it is just the way the baby is positioned in my tummy. I am unable to lay on my back and sometimes it helps just to push my tummy out (as if I had eaten too much). Have you spoken to your doctor? Have you been checked for anemia. I am borderline anemic and that has contributed to that feeling. Good luck and try to take it easy.

Good Morning, K.! I had that issue as well. I was told to try and sleep elevated a little. Also, to sleep on my left side (I think!!!)- one side or the other allows more room for your lungs. My Dr. sent me to a specialist who told me it was just the lack of room for my lungs to inflate. Granted, you might be experiencing something totally different...good luck!

1 / 3