31 Weeks Pregnant, Spastic Kicking!

Hi there,

I'm 31 weeks pregnant with my second child, and for the past several weeks my baby has been kicking SO much. The movements are much stronger than they were during my first pregnancy and even kind of alarming! It feels like s/he is frantically flailing around in there and sometimes the movements almost seem kind of spastic.

Have any of you felt this? Could it be a symptom that there is something wrong? My OBGYN is on vacation and I asked the backup at a regular checkup last week, but she just said all pregnancies/babies are different.

Any reassurance would be great. :)

Our bundle of joy is here. He is SO strong and active, already at 2 1/2 months! Sometimes he has this leg quiver that our pediatrician says is normal at this age. I think that is what I was feeling when I was pregnant that worried me. Thanks again for the encouraging replies!

It could even be something that you are eating. Monitor what happens after you eat certain foods as well.

Don't know if this'll help, but I was the opposite- I was used to being pregnant w/my 2 wildly out of control kicking BOYS- and when I was pregnant with my GIRL I was terrified, bc she barely moved- like these soft gentle movements that were almost undetectable. My OB said that moms who've had boys 1st and then a girl, are the most worried about this. All the kicking is a good sign- I think this will help you if you already have a girl- maybe you're having a boy. Don't worry- congratulations!!!

My baby kicked pretty frantically sometimes, although I remember it being more frantic earlier in the pregnancy when he had more space. I was worried because he was doing it at about 16 weeks and I didn't think I should be able to feel it yet, but my doc said "Don't worry he's just excited!" Maybe you ate something yummy and your baby likes it. :) Of course ask your doctor but it sounds okay to me. I also had a lot of movements from my baby that felt like a sudden jolt almost like he was jumping, which I thought were weird. But he seems to be okay so don't worry too much!

I'm about 34 weeks with our 2nd. I know exactly what you're describing. This one has been doing it since around 29/30 weeks. It reminds me of Thumper in the old Bambi movie, the way he would repetitively beat his foot on the ground. I mentioned it to my OB; she just smiled and nodded, then said it's good she's so active. Try not to worry yourself about it.

Oooh sounds like a nice strong healthy baby! Congratulations. My little guy was VERY active!!

Since I can't feel what you are feeling, I can't say for sure. But I can say that my OB told me that kicks and hits are often stronger with the second baby because the baby has more room to stretch out (since the first baby already blew up that balloon once, so to speak) and so they can really get going. My second baby is also a lot more active than my first was! I have heard that some mothers can feel their babies having seizures in the womb, which is scary, and so if you think this is a possibility, absolutely bring it up with your OB as soon as possible. But if it isn't that violent or drawn out, I would just accept that this baby has more room to move around than your last one did. Good luck!

When I was pregnant, I swear there were times when I was certain that my baby was doing tae-bo in my belly. So much kicking and punching. When she was born, we discovered that she had really loooong legs, so maybe that was part of the problem. Your baby is probably just fine - just really active. Good luck and congrats!

My younger child was this way! I was pretty sure she was trying to jump out of my stomach via my belly button. Well, guess what? She is now 5 years old, and hasn't stopped moving since. It's a family joke that we call her our "wiggler." The child absolutely can't sit still for more than a few seconds. They are who they are, right from the start! =) Congrats on your pregnancy!

Hi there!

My second child was just born in May, and I had some serious kicking, too. It was so extreme that it would distract my husband while we watched TV. (now that's saying something, b/c it normally takes at least 4 times repeating something before it enters his consciousness!). He could noticeably see my belly move from 8 feet away.

He was a busy boy, and now that's he's out, he's amazingly strong. Held his head up the first week, excels at tummy time, etc. I think it could be due to him hearing his older brother playing and trying to play along too and/or it could be God's way of ensuring survival (he has to be sturdy to make it through his brother's affection)!

Remember, as the baby's neurological system develops, the movements become more fluid, but that's not till after they are out. So it makes sense that they are a little jerky. Also, I felt a lot of hiccup episodes while DS was inside (he still hiccups daily).

Hope this is reassuring!

Best regards!

1 / 3