3 Yr Old with High Monocytes and Low WBC Counts!! ANYBODY PLEASE!!

Hello all,
I took my daughter in to the doc a few weeks ago for excessive thirst and urination, the ped ignored it so I took her to my doc who ordered blood work. they said it came back with her monocytes at 13 and the range is something like 6-11, and her white blood cell count is at 5.8, and the range is 6-15. The docs are not as worried as I am. Just last year she was hospitalized with sub acute bacterial endocarditis, she alsmost died, and it was me, not her ped who caught it! I just need to know what I should do or if anyone here is a nurse! The ped is angry that I got blood work, I just need her treated and with my insurance can go anywhere. My little Ava catches everything and seems to always be sick...

Another doctor might be a better match for you. Are you seeing a pediatric cardiologist? Although 2 points over the normal range doesn't sound very high and a 0.2 difference from the low end of the WBC doesn't sound very low. If she has heart trouble, she needs to be seeing a specialist who can best monitor her condition.

What do you call the medical student who graduated dead last in his class?

Doctor.

Find another one.

You most definitely need to get another pediatrician, and write a negative review on the one you have online so others can know to stay way. Many Dr.'s don't take borderline tests as seriously. It's the test (also usually done in series to make sure the results are conclusive) along with ranges of symptoms they check, so I would start documenting everything to see if there is a pattern that maybe you all can pick up on.

If I were going to throw something out there for you to investigate, a place to start from anyhow, I would look at maybe mild neutropenia, due to the bacterial infection history and her low immune system and blood ranges.

I found this in which the blood labs are similar and then looked up the neutropenic from what I know about it's immune system problems. It can also cause burning sensation while peeing, which could result in the frequent urination if she is going in little spurts, but has a full bladder b/c she has to pee, and it can cause sore throats, which could lead to frequent thirst, trying to comfort the throat... but I am no Dr. of course, just speculating! My father had Leukemia my entire life and so many times the only way he lived was because he did research and had to fight for care when the Dr.s didn't always investigate or see symptoms. He also learned how to interpret his bloodwork, so while what DanaW said about going online and getting worried over things that you may be jumping to conclusions is most definitely true, you can do some research and bring it to a Dr. and have everything explained to you. If or once you receive a diagnosis, stay on top of everything, just like you have been!

http://www.doctorslounge.com/hematology/forums/backup/top...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutropenia

S.-

I remember corresponding with you about this through your last post, and I'm really sorry you haven't received any information.

I do think it's time to escalate it past your pediatrician. See if there's another one you can find, get copies of her medical records, and ask for a referral to an Infectious Disease specialist if possible.

I know less about monocytes. When I was diagnosed with lymphoma after my daughter's birth, I tried to interpret my own CBC, and it drove me crazy. Resist the temptation to get on the internet and conduct your own research. Even with my degree in Biology, I didn't fully understand what was going on. In my case, most cancer patients have extremely high WBC, mine was completely normal. So, don't read too much into the CBC results until you're able to have a conversation with another physician and get a different opinion.

Unfortunately, it may take multiple visits to multiple doctors to finally get to the bottom of things. For me, it was several before my biopsy came back with the proper diagnosis.

Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Before age 4, my son was similar with getting sick very often(once a week). The pediatricians didn't seem to think it was important- and missed finding a hole in his heart! Since surgery at age 4, my son has been much healthier, getting sick less than once a month, and recovering much faster.
I hope you find a better pediatrician that can figure out if somethings wrong.

I would be looking for a new pediatrician! I have never had our ped ignore anything I was concerned with. I questioned diabetes w/ my oldest and my doctor assured me that his frequent thirst and urination was a side effect from one of his meds but ordered testing anyways just to make sure because why take an unnecessary risk. Talk to some other moms in your area and see who they have to recommend.

Oh no way would I keep that pediatrician if they feel territorial. Those people are just people. They are educated and smart. But have you ever considered the huge volumes of medical data that they are expected to just have in their head? Diagnostics is a very tricky thing and I am glad they have been making shows on television to show just how tricky it is. We all need to take our own health and the health of our children in our own hands and do what it takes. From our own reading to going to the right specialist to googling, it's our job to make sure our children are treated. You are doing the right thing.

I don't know anything about what the numbers may mean. But if I were you I'd find a new ped right away. Bacterial endocarditis...don't know what it is. What specialist did you see for it?

Excessive thirst and Excessive urination?? Did they test her for diabetes? I think you need a new pediatrician. Are there many to choose from in your area?

What were her symptoms when she had endocarditis? Does she have underlying heart disease? Did the infection damage her heart in any way?
That could be unrelated and just a scary/unfortunate illness. Kids do get crazy illnesses but almost always come out ok.

Her bloodwork was very borderline. Do you suspect she has some sort of immune system problem? I would ask your ped to give you a referral to a specialist. Does she have a pediatric cardiologist that she sees due to her endocarditis? Maybe just make an appt with him/her and discuss your concerns.

I hope you get answers soon, there is nothing worse than worrying about our kids!

I agree with the others. You need to find a new pediatrician. That is appalling. You have every right to be concerned especially after what happened last year. Take her and her blood work results to a new pediatrician right away. You have to be your child's advocate.

1 / 3