3 Yr Old with Blisters on Every Finger, Peeling Skin

Hi, has anyone experienced this? My 3 yr old son got what appeared to be blisters on every one of his fingertips on both hands, starting with the thumb, pointer and middle and then a couple of days later the ring and pinkie fingers. They are not painful and don't seem to have any fluid inside. He bites on them until they pop and then he nibbles at the skin. I have clipped as much as I can off and it seems to be healing, but every finger tip all the way down to the first joint had the skin peeled off. FYI, he doesn't get his hands wet excessively and he didn't burn them. He's not exposed to any chemicals or cleansers either and it's not hand foot and mouth disease. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks!!

Hi, thanks for all of the great responses. I have looked up impetigo, hand, foot and mouth and Kawasaki disease and none of those fit. He hasn't had any fevers, the blisters aren't red, don't itch, and aren't painful. It looks to me like either an allergy(I bought a kids foaming soap at Bath and Body works a oouple of weeks ago)or it could be that he always has his fingers in his mouth and that is causing he skin to turn white and peel off. The blisters look like the kind you would get from playing on the monkey bars, just white, dead skin. But obviously that can't be it, he's only three and it's on every finger, but not his palms. I am going to stop the new hand soap and see what happens. Thanks again for all of the great suggestions!

Have you considered taking him to the doctor? I highly suggest doing so. You wouldn't want to let something serious go untreated. Or anything for that matter. Be careful clipping as you might cause infection. Don't mean to worry you but it is a possibility!

See what his pediatrician says. Good luck!

I have a similar issues on my hands. I only get the blisters in between my fingers and no where else on my hands. My doctor called it dyshidrotic eczema. It will show up when the weather is very dry (usually during the winter or early spring). Teachers, nurses and new moms usually get this. There is a topical medication for it, but I choose to put lotion on each time I wash my hands and it seems to help.

It really sound like hand foot mouth to me, but my son also wears away his finger tips by constantly putting his fingers in his mouth. The acid in his saliva wears away at the skin on his fingers, they peel and it looks just awful. He does it when he's nervous. A simple talk about keeping his hands out of his mouth and some extra hand washing takes care of the problem in about a week.

best bet is take him in to a doctor. Ask them to run a full blood panel. and make sure he has no allergic reaction or some un diagnosed thing. But for now until you get him there keep his hand clean and dry but moisturized the best lotion i've found is eucerin .. Good luck i hope its something simple

K.,
Has he run a fever recently? My child has peeling skin on hands and feet at times. I would encourage you to take him to the pediatrician immediately. Sometimes it is from a high fever, strep or some other infection, but it can also be an indicator of Kawasaki Disease (rare, but needs to be checked out anyway). It may be something very simple, but please don't just ignore it.
God bless,

Does he use antibacterial handsoap? Has he had other skin sensitivites to soaps or come in contact with cleaning supplies (maybe bath cleaner didn't get rinsed out completely)? I get this from soaps containing triclosan. It takes about a week or two to heal up after you stop using it. It's basically contact dermatitis for me, so stopping contact with the allergan is what cures it. Maybe your little guy has it. If it doesn't improve in 1-2 weeks, go to the doctor. He might need a medicated topical steroid cream similar to what's used for eczema.

I read the other mama's post. I know that there's a lot of that going around (and it's very contagious). It could also be eczema. (My husband gets it like this.) I'd see the pediatrician right away. Best wishes.

At my child's school they sent home information about a contagious bacterial disease called impetigo. It needs to be treated right away if it is, you don't want to infect other children.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/i...

Impetigo, a contagious skin infection that usually produces blisters or sores on the face, neck, hands, and diaper area is one of the most common skin infections among kids.

It is generally caused by one of two bacteria: staphylococcus aureus or group A streptococcus. Impetigo usually affects preschool and school-age children. A child may be more likely to develop impetigo if the skin has already been irritated by other skin problems, such as eczema, poison ivy, and insect bites.

So it could be the eczema, the foot /mouth, also yeast. Another possiblity is it is mercury as well. Has he received any vaccinations in the past couple of months?

So lots of things to look into.

Please make sure YOU have done the research on vaccinations for YOUR child. The AAP recommended schedule of shots for children is too many, too soon. Here are sites and books that I always recommend for people to start their research:

www.909shot.org
www.tacanow.org
www.generationrescue.com

The Vaccine Book, by Dr. Robert Sears
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Childhood Vaccinations, by Dr. Stephanie Cave
Evidence of Harm, by David Kirby

1 / 3