3 Yr Old Has Fever on & off for 3Rd Day

My daughter had a fever of 102 late Saturday night and then woke up Sunday with 100.5 and it came and went on Sunday. She hardly ate or drank anything all day..On Monday she woke up with 100 and it was gone all day until now(Monday night--10:00 pm--yes, she is still up). She ate & drank more today... She is not complaining at all of any symptoms. She had a loose bowel movement today but did not complain at all since the start of the fever. I didn't call the doctor because I thought she would just tell me it was a viral infection and it would go away with motrin/tylenol. I feel horrible for not calling the doctor now that the fever has come back. She is acting okay but I don't know what to do. I have a feeling the doctor is going to say it is viral ... With a fever & being that she is acting normal, what can this be? Anyone have this before?

You know my son had the same thing about two months ago and he was sick off and on - his tummy was upset and it was just viral! Don't Worry! Kids sometimes pick up weird mystery viruses and spike high fevers and it can last up to a week. Kids are resilient - she'll be fine! No worries!

Jenn Smith
http://jennsmith.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
http://www.cbc.ca/MRL/clips/rm-lo/mesley_cleaner030311.rm

I know you posted this a couple of days ago but I just saw it. I really hope that you took your daughter to the doctor. any fever that goes that high should be seen by a physician. My daughter had a fever like that recently and it turned out she had scarlet fever, something that I never would have thought of and din't know still existed in our modern world. Even if it turns out to be a virus at least you made sure it wasn't soemthing more serious. Good luck and I hope your daughter is feeling better!

Both my daughters (5 & 3) had the same thing, but it also included a mild cough. Since it is the 3rd day I would call the Dr just to be sure that there isn't an infection that your daughter isn't compaining about. My girls started out w/ just a viral, but it stayed w/ them & then turned into bronchitis. Better safe than sorry!

My son just had a Yo-Yo fever this weekend. Didn't want to eat or hardly drink. I thought it was molars but I went to the doc anyways. Turned out it was an infection in his throat (there was pus) and prescribed antibiotics and all is good.

Always just have her checked out. Better to know its just viral then wondering if she's getting worse with something that is bad.

If the docs are always shrugging you off about fevers you should change docs. They're job is to serve you. If your daughter had a hang nail they should be begging you to come in to see them for it.

Jenn Smith

Please call the dr - it may only be an ear infection, but a fever for 3 days requires a trip to the dr. Hope your little one feels better soon.

I would suspect strep, which is going around and can have those symptoms. Definintely call the doc as she would need antibiotics

If I were you I would still call the Dr. at this point because it could possibly be an ear infection in which she'll need to be on a course of antibiotics. Even if it's viral it's better to be on the safe side and also set your mind at ease. Hope your daughter feels better, I'm in fact bringing my 4 year old in to the Doc because of fever last night....

I would call the doctor…it might be viral but it is better to safe then sorry. I know that something is going round. My 6 year-old has been sick on and off for the last few weeks. We have taken her in a few times. The doctor told us that strep has been going around as well as the flu. Most of the other kids he has been seeing have had strep. My daughter had the flu and was out for about a week.

Good Luck…Staci

1 / 3