3 Year Olds and Monster!

My little girl is 3 years old and half through the night she wakes up crying about monsters and we don't let her watch scary movies or anything even when in the day time she talks about monster's and how they get her but I talk to her about they can't get her with daddy around but he works nights is there a way i can make her feel safe with out daddy around all the time?

My daughter is only 2, and has never talked about monsters or being scared of anything, but if she did, I would remind her that "monsters" are the fun characters on Sesame Street, like Elmo and "Cookie" as my daughter calls the Cookie Monster. So you can tell her that when she sees monsters, they are probably visiting from Sesame Street :)

Try teaching her about angels. Kids her age can grasp concepts of invisible things existing (whether they do, as in the case of angels, or don't, as in the case of monsters). So teach her that angels are stronger than monsters and will protect her all the time. That might help.

Get a spray bottle and fill it with Monster busting potion (aka Water). Give it to her and ask her to help you rid the house of the scary monsters. Spray water where ever she says that monsters hide and the rest of the house too, just to be safe. Then keep it nearby for those latenight monster sightings! Make it fun and exciting. Chances are she will feel safe!

I have a funny memory from many years ago when our first daughter was a toddler. She was absolutely CONVINCED that there was a monster in her closet that was going to get her at night!! ( I think it was connected to the fact that she had been moved out of her toddler bed into a "real" bed, as we prepared for her sisters birth). Nothing we did seemed to help until my husband went in and got a can of bug spray, he brought it into the room ( with the label hidden so she couldn't see what it was) and sprayed it in the closet floor. He made a big deal out of telling her that this was "super duper monster spray" and that no monster had EVER been able to stay in the same house after it was used!!! I don't know if it speaks to my husband fantastic story spinning or to my daughters faith in her Daddy but that was the last that we heard of the scary monster in the closet!!!
Sometimes we just have to acknowledge our childrens fears as "real" and deal with them in a way that makes them feel secure.
Hope this idea helps

We have also had luck with "Monster Spray". We went further and actually made up a bottle of water and vinegar with a homemdae tag that says "Monster Spray". Our three year old now request it occassionally so she can go on a monster hunt. She is even brave enough now to use her flashlight and shimmy under her bed with the spray to get the monsters herself.

My wife and I did the "Monster Spray" with our 4yo twin girls and it worked flawlessly. We casually mentioned their fears to their pediatrician, and she was the one who suggested the spray to the girls. She gave us an empty bottle, but told the girls it was full of "invisible magic sprinkles" that gets rid of Monsters. We talked to them about monsters and how they were just "pretend"...and participated with them in checking the room, closets, and sprinkling the monster dust around. We made a game out of it and just had some fun. My wife would pretend to sprinkle me with the dust and the girls would laugh and do the same. It really distracted them from their fears. We also let them know that we understood their concerns, but showed them that they didn't need to be afraid. It didn't take long for the monster spray to start collecting dust!

We got a squirt bottle and filled it with water. We told our toddler son that it was monster spray. If he saw the monster, he should just spray it...that monster would disappear - just like that!
Worked like a charm.
YMMV
LBC

We had this same problem. I told my daughter that mommy and daddy was gonna kick the monsters butts right out of the room! So my husband and I would ask her where they were and then pretend to grab the monsters and kick them out the house! I know it sounds weird and kinda "violent" but it was actually pretty funny! After a few nights of that my daughter said the monsters were scared to come back in our house cause they knew that her mom and dad were gonna kick them out! Good luck!

Coolest thing.............monster be gone kit - my daughter was between 3 & 4 and went thru the same thing. We had just moved into an older, creekier house too that didn't help. We found this kit that had just a small spritzer that we filled w/water (monster potion) and my husband would spray every inch of Sami's room before she went to bed. We also made a sign for the door telling the monsters to stay away (incase there were any straglers) - we just kinda went along w/the whole thing & in no time she was fine. He would spray under the bed & in closets too. I don't remember where we bought ours from but if you just get a water bottle it should do the trick. Good luck!

We handled this two ways-1. We explained that monsters aren't scary. Cookie Monster, Grover, and Elmo are all monsters. And they are definitely not scary! He thought about this for a while and that seemed help a lot. 2. We got my son a Glomate nightlight, which we can Glowbuddy. He can take it into bed with him and it's safe and rechargeable. We told him that Glowbuddy chases away anything in the night that might make him feel scared. (They do make battery powered cheaper versions available at Walmart, as well.)
http://www.amazon.com/MOBI-70175-TykeLight-Portable-GloMa...

1 / 3