3 Year Old with Scabies...HELP

Hi Moms. Well I now have a new problem. My 3 year old daughter has had a bumpy red "rash" on both of her hands and wrists now for over a week. It itches like crazy. We thought these were ant or spider bites at first but today I realized this is something else. I went to the Urgent Care and thought they would tell me this was Poison Ivy. NOPE. They said it's Scabies. These mites that are living in her skin. I'm FREAKED. They explained about them and we have ointment for her skin. We have washed everything in hot water (sheets, blankets). We vacummed and even changed out her mattress. Is there anything else we should do? Any advice from other mom's who have had this problem? Thanks for your help.

I'd go to a dermatologist. There is an ointment that is very oily/greasy and doesn't spread well and then there is another type that is a lotion and it is much better. You can also get a spray from Walgreen's etc. Good luck. I wouldn't google it, you're not going to like what you see. I was freaked out, too. But, it does go away. My dermatologist said that the whole family needed to be treated. Again....good luck!

When my son got lice I freaked out. I got him out of the house for the day after I treated him and did the same thing but I also took Raid and sprayed all the carpets and his bed and linens, then after a few minutes washed everything in hot water and took an upholstery steam cleaner and clean his bed then did the carpets. I felt a lot better, but maybe I over reacted, this was over 10 yrs ago and he was my 1st.

My oldest daughter, my husband and I all had scabies about 15 years ago, the kwell that the dr. gives you works great, they will go away, and it looks like you've done everything you need to do. It's kinda like having headlice, I guess, just need to wash bedding, pillows, spray mattressess etc and you'll be fine.

Nope. That's pretty much all you can do for scabies. They should be cleared up in no time. keep an eye on yourself though...check your wrists, armpits, around your bra line and groin area...they like to live in warm areas.

My 2 kids had them when they were young once. They were no big deal other than the itch, and no one else caught it from them. They got it when they slept in a bed with some other kids at a sleepover at someone's house.

We washed our sheets/pillow cases and towels etc.
Then I went to the drug store and bought some "cream" made just for it. Just ask the pharmacist. I laid sleeping bags on the floor that night, and put a sheet or beach towel over it and slathered them from head to toe (no joke) with the cream and put them to bed. In the morning they showered off, I washed the sheets and that was that.. never saw them again.

After you treat, check the "folds" on your children.
Behind the knees, armpits, neck etc, they like the "sweaty" folds.. :)

If the treatment doesn't work. I'd get a 2nd option as others have suggested to be 100% sure it is scabies and not another skin disorder. If I recall, they look like thin red lines, as they "burrow" under the skin - it's been at least 12 years I think..

A few years ago I had terrible itching and went to urgent care and said I had scabies... I then went to my dermotologist and he said it was eczema and not scabies. Just a thought... It saved me a ton of work and avoided using another medication.

Did they do a scrapping of her skin to make sure it was scabies? Before doing anything else, I would definately take her to her doctor or even better a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. It could be something else a little more simple. Plus there are different types of mites, and it would be good to know which type have infected her, if indeed it is scabies.

Hi, Scabies is another word for sarcoptic Mange. it is highly contagious and is usually passed to kids from dogs that are infested with mange or from other children who have it. the Sarcoptic Mange mites are Reddish and teeny tiny spider looking mites.

I would google it its the best way to find the most information fast.

Good luck, I feel your pain- ;O)
apri J

1 / 3