3 Year Old with Headaches

My 3.5 year old daughter frequently complains of her forehead hurting. It's gone on for about a year or so, and averages once or twice a month where she complains and sometimes cries. She always points to her general forehead area when I ask where it hurts. I can't seem to link it to any particular cause. For a while I thought it happened when she was tired, but then last week she woke up from a good nap and then complained of it hurting an hour or so later. The Dr. told us to keep a log of when it happens and noticeable patterns, but I can't seem to find a cause or common pattern for its occurence. Giving her Tylenol takes care of the pain, but I don't want to just be masking the pain and not finding the root of the problem.

Anybody have a similar experience or advice on what to do?

Could be a food allergy. Might be worth getting her tested. Gluten or wheat intolerance tested too. If you don't want to got to a doc you can try an elimination diet first. Google "food allergy elimination diet" and see if it's something you want to try. Good luck.

Have you had her sinuses checked? Does she have allergies? I get headaches like that to for those reasons.

I hope you figure something out soon!

Forehead pain is sinuses. Talk to your doctor about allergies. She might need an antihistimine and a decongestant.

I assume you've had her vision checked? HEadaches are often linked to eye strain. Otherwise dehydration is a BIG contributor to headaches - try upping her water intake. Other than that, can she be evaluated by a pediatric neurologist? Talk to your pediatrician about this. Good luck.

Hi, A.. As part of my job as a nurse practitioner in child neurology, I deal with this every day.

Most common reasons for headaches: poor diet, dehydration, stress/anxiety (even good stress), lack of sleep (should be getting about 9-10 hrs/sleep/night) and lack of exercise. As some of the other readers asked, is there a family history of headaches/migraines? Are there particular times of the year or day that the headaches occur? Other important questions: is the pain associated with dizziness, nausea and/or vomiting, light or noise sensitivity? She is a little young but does she complain of seeing anything 'funny' when she has a headache or before getting a headache?

Headaches ARE common in children, despite what others, even pediatricians say and the chance of anything 'bad' causing it, ie, brain tumor is VERY rare! I agree that you should keep a log. It's OK to give ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) as it's a better pain reliever than Tylenol. Make sure you are giving the appropriate dose. We tend to underdose children with pain which doesn't help. Do not use thses meds more than 3 times/week as they can cause more headaches.

Revisit your pediatrician in a few weeks after keeping a log to see if you can come up with a trigger and address the trigger. If they occur mostly in the afternoon, probably due to lack of sleep. If the headache frequency increases over time or wakes her up in the middle of the night, she might want to be seen by a child neurologist.

I'd try this first.

K. M.

I would have her vision checked. Both of my kids complained of headaches and it turned out they needed glasses.

Migraines/Headaches can be allergy related. Does she have hay fever or other allergy symptoms?

Hi A., have you looked into a correlation between foods your daughter eats and her headaches? It can by foods she eats on a regular basis, foods she eats only 1-2 times per month or food additives/preservatives. I see many kids with food sensitivities in my practice who can have a wide range of symptoms. Perhaps you should try keeping a food journal for a month and see if you notice particular foods causing headaches 6-72 hours after consuming the same food.

I hope you can figure this one out! I feel so bad for your little one (and you for feeling helpless!).

In Health,
L. Vachani

My son was about that age when he started getting frequent headaches. They got worse and we first went to the ped. then the neurologist. Turns out they were migraines. We have a family history of migraines on both sides, so it was fairly easy for my son to get a diagnosis. Our neurologist was great and suggested supplements of riboflavin and magnesium. This works well for him. If I could have, I would have dealt with this earlier as it had an effect on him in school before we got it under control. Keep working with your doctor, keep the records and if they end up being migraines, find out what the triggers are and consider the supplements. Keep your duaghter hydrated and be careful about using too much tylenol as she could be getting rebound headaches. Also, when my son (or I) just start getting a headache, a strong cup of black tea (caffeine does the trick) can work.

I hope this gets better for her. I know that it can be very difficult.

1 / 3