3 Year Old with Discharge in Her Panties?

Is it normal for a little girl to have discharge in her panties? She's been potty trained for a year but I only noticed this more in the past couple months. Not to give too much info but it doesn't have a bad odor, she isn't red in that area and she doens't itch or say it hurts. I just was hoping it's normal. It's not in globs or anything either. It's almost just like a light yellowish stain in her painties. She showers everynight and I make sure to dry her well after going potty. Thanks for anything you might know. I called her ped but I haven't heard back yet.

You didn't say what color the discharge is? Blood? Yellow? Whitish?

I would keep the panties that are stained... to show the Doctor.

My daughter had that once, but she was 5. It was just a slight discolored discharge... and it turned out she had a UTI. Which the Doc said would go away on its own...but to stop bubble baths, soaps in that area, and in fact the Doc suggested SHOWERS not baths and what not. It did go away. My daughter though, had no discomfort. No other symptoms, just the discharge.

If your Ped does not call back... call them back again. THEN, make an appointment instead of just making it an "I have a question" type phone call. If you want an appointment....they may be more likely to call back.

All the best,
Susan

It could be a vaginal infection, which can occur from wiping the wrong way. Just get her checked out.

I think it's normal. My daughter has a little discharge too, staining her underwear a little yellow. It's not real bad and doesn't smell fowl. I think it's just a normal part of being female. I've also been told by other mom's that it's normal for their daughters as well. For more than a year I've noticed this and there's no signs of infection or anything else. I'm not worried.

Hi! My daughter had the same problem, and it did end up giving her a little pain when we washed her with soap. We took her to the dr., but there was no bladder infection, just irritation. The dr. said that girls often hunch over on the toilet (so they don't fall off), and this posture doesn't let them get all the pee out. Then, they'll leak after they're up and running around again. The dr. suggested making sure that my daughter was sitting completely upright or to have her sit on the toilet backwards to make sure that her legs were apart and she was upright (almost leaning back a little). My daughter is now 4.5, and the problem is gone. I hope this works for you!

Regardless of how helpful these opinions are, I'd recommend you take her to the doctor's for a quick check-up.

sounds like she has a yeast infection, take her to the doctors, it just might have started.

If it is yellowish I would be more likely to think it is a urinary tract issue(i have no idea if i spelled that right!) Since she is potty trained and not wetting maybe she could have an issue with leakage. If the skin isn't irritated then I wouldn't get worked up. It's more likely a potty issue than a vaginal issue. Sounds like you have already taken the right steps by calling her ped.

1 / 3