Potty Training and Constipation: 3 year-old with constipation

Help! My 3 year old son has been very constipated this past week. I have tried to give him lots of juice and water, problem is he only likes apple juice and has refused all other fruits and vegetables as of late. Any ideas on how to help him overcome this?

I tried to read the previous posts but couldn't get thru all of them. When my now 1 yr old was 3 months she was constipated and the pediatrician said to use dark Karo syrup. It worked great and without any side effects! At that time, she was taking 1 tsp. w/ every 8oz of liquid. It works gradually, so you won't see anything right away.

My 5 yr old has always had constipation issues and we have found that giving him Kid's Benefiber helps a lot. It comes in a powder form that is colorless, tasteless & orderless so he doesn't know it's there. You can put it into this water or juice or food. Be careful and read the label! Too much can give him the opposite effect! Good luck & I hope this helps!

D. L.

Hi. I had the same problem with 2 yr old. One word-Miralax. Works great and Dr. approved for young ones. He said he's been giving it to his own since the child was one yr. old! Good luck.

Try some pear juice (while difficult to find in stores, my daughter's doctor recommended this)or giving him plums to eat.

My daughter had that problem when she was younger (she is now 7). She would then hold it in because it was painful to go after being constipated so long. The doctor recommended to first try more fruits, vegetables and water, that way your child does not get dependent on a laxative or anything. But my daughter also had a problem with dairy products and I switched her to soy milk. Increasing the vegetables, fruit and water helped her.

I am so sorry to hear your son is constipated! We have a lot of that at my house (both of my children). I have always been against dried fruits (raisins, crasins, plums and blueberries) but the doctors kept suggesting it ... Finally I tried it and it actually seems to be helping a lot. The kids normally love those, so good luck!

Hi M., try Fletcher's Castoria. It's a laxative for children. You can buy it at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS...it's been around for years and IT WORKS! The taste itsn't too bad, but you'll definitely see your little one more comforted the next day. I keep a bottle in my medicince cabinet for my 6 and 3 year old. Give 1-2 tsps 1 to 2 times per day. Bottle says "relieves occational constipation and generally cuases bowel movement in 6-12 hours." Good luck...I know it will help :)

Use Miralax-it works great-the cap on the bottle fill only 1/4 full & mix with milk - I use it for my grandson-try once a day- if that doesn't work talk to doctor-

Well apple juice will keep him from going. Can you try prune juice, can you mix it with a little bit of water and try that. My sister kids have had issues with constipation and the doctor told her to give them a little mineral oil. That did seem to help. I hope some of this will help you, I know that it is extremely uncomfortable for them.

hi M.,
I 'm a mom of 3y old too. I know it's hard to change their eating habits. I read most of the answers already given, since I have the same problem sometimes. I agree that you should try visiting your ped, but I try to avoid laxatives. I carry with me glycerin suppositories for emergency, especially when traveling. I would recommend some prunes, dried, juice or puree. But I also have something else that works. I make soups with legumes, especially lentils (they don't give gas like beans) and keep them in small containers in freezer. I give her some every 2-3 days, sometimes as side dish, others as main course, mixed in salads etc. You can make them a little thicker if he doesn't like soups just like my little girl. And of course this could be an easy dish for the whole family. I hope this can work for your kid.

My pediatrician ok'd this...when I was having the same problem with my then 3 year old boy. Add metamucil or any of those colorless, tasteless, powders to whatever they drink. It works. I just cut the doseage down.

1 / 3