3 Year Old Will NOT Poop on the Potty!

My 3 year old daughter is doing so great with tinkle on the potty, but poop is NOT happening. And I mean that - she's literally doing days and days without pooping, and tonight after 1/2 hour on the potty, got all upset and said her bottom hurt and she wanted a pull-up on so she could poop, which I eventually gave to her, just because I know she needs to get that out! But once I put it on her, she still didn't poop and now she's fallen asleep for the night. Has anyone else been in this situation who can give me some advice? I'm getting worried about her.

My kids went through this phase too. It only took my son one time of pooping on the potty to get over his fear, but until then we went through the same thing as you. I agree with Gale - lots of water will help. I tried to have my son at least "try" to poop several times a day and just let him sit there as long as he wanted - 10 seconds or 10 minutes (usually it was 10 seconds). It took a couple of weeks until he finally did it, I think. You'll get through it.

I have been there too!
1. don't stress
2. try miralax.
3. ket her use the pull up, eventually she do it in the pot
4. when she is ready play with toys and read on the pot
5. offer a big toy/prize for doing it.

It may seem like it will never end but it can't last forever. She won't get married wearing a pull-up...that is what my Grandma told me! My daughter was 4 when she finally went from pooping in the pull up to the pot and we had a party for her with her Grandma and us and she got her special toy she wanted.

My son is doing the same thing, we dont push the poopy thing. He goes all day just peeing on the potty then about 7 at nite we put a pullup on him so he can poop. ONce he poops the pullup goes on him for the nite. Make sure she is drinking lots of water during the day, makes it easier for the poop to come out. If she goes to long it will hurt coming out and she will be afraid to go.

I can't believe no one has suggested Miralax! It is not a laxative, it is a stool softener and it works wonders on children holding their stools. It makes the stool so soft, they can't hold it. My 2 year old was great with peeing on the potty, but would hold her BM for up to 4 days; she wouldn't even go in a diaper or pull up. Then she'd cry and cry and eventually go on the potty. The doctor told me all about Miralax and I did my own research, and it was a life saver. She started going every day on the potty and got over her fear. Once she got past the fear, we weaned her off the Miralax. My girl got a 1/2 capful every day, but talk with your pediatrician to see if it's right for you. I have discussed this with numerous other parents, and I know of at least 5 other children who have been helped by Miralax. Check it out.

This is not unusual and it's about fear and control for your daughter. If she is asking for a pull-up, that's better than just going in her underwear. She knows what is going on but not ready for the next step yet. You might try putting her in a pull-up when she asks but tell her she has to stay in the bathroom to go and them move it to sitting on the toilet, then removing the pull-up. I know it seems strange but it happens with a lot of children

My son just went through this. He is 2 1/2 and would pee in the potty just fine, but wanted a diaper to poop in and seemed afraid to poop in the potty. I started to try to at least have him poop in the diaper while in the bathroom. Then after he was done I would empty the poop into the potty and explain that the poop went in the potty and let him watch what happened. Then he'd wipe with toilet paper and I'd let him flush it down. It only took about 3 times of doing this when he told me he wanted to poop on the potty! Ever since he has done it and it has been about a week with no accidents! I find sticker charts help as well to encourage whenever they pee or poop in the potty! Good Luck!

My 3rd child, a boy was the same way. He would actually go hide behind a chair or somewhere and poop in his pants. It was after age 4 before he actually went in the pot.

My son turned 3 in December. We have been potty training him since he was two, but I never pushed it, just reward with stickers when he does go. Well for the past 5 months he hadn't pooped in his pullups anymore, he would only poop in the potty (still working on peeing though), but it began to where he would go less and less and when he would go it would be really hard big stools and he would scream and tell me it hurt. So I tried more fiber in the diet... that worked for a while, but then he would still hold in his poop until it hurt because he was scared of pooping. I really didn't want to have to do meds, but his case got so bad that he developed IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrome.... he would hold his stool in too long and poop would clog his rectum and loose poop would go around the clog and leak out because he couldn't control it... oh it was horrible. Then after like 3 days, he would sit on the toilet for like an hour until the clog came out and it would hurt his little bottom so bad. Well we just went to the dotctor today and got prescribed some miralax, I have heard you can get it over the counter but with a prescription, his insurance covered it. Anyway, the doctor says a half-teaspoon a day in his drink will fix his poop problems. I sure hope so!! Don't wait until your daughter gets IBS to take her to the doctor! If she's constipated, she may need meds.

well, both of mine had a harder time with that too. Our son would go in his pull up that he wore at night. Eventually with prizes laid out in the bathroom he was able to do it on the potty. Our daughter would do it in her panties and that was disgusting. I just would not let her out of my site and when she went to squat grabbed her to the potty. If she chooses to go in her panties I suggest having her clean herself in the tub and washing them out, could cure it in a day!

1 / 3