3 Year Old Prescribed Adderall- HELP!!!!

After the last 18 months or so we finally have some answers to our sons ourbursts and radical behavior. Our 3 year old has been diagnosed with Autism and his Dr. put him on Adderall yesterday. I am new to all of this and am having some real issues giving my child a drug of this magnitude. Our son is Only 3 years old and has had some behavioral issues for the last 18 months or so. His fits of rage even scared me at first not because he is violent but because he just gets so involved in him self and can and will not get over what ever issue is at hand.

Does anyone have any words of wisdome for me? I am really having a hard time accepting that my child was prescribed this drug. Is this right?

Hello,

I do not have a child with Autism, but I have been hearing a lot about it. Actress Jennie McCarthy has a son with Autism and has pretty much learned to deal with it through diet instead of drugs.. You should look her up on the internet. She even wrote a book about it. Hope this helps.
Teresa

Before administering any drugs to your child I would exhaust all other avenues! We have had great luck with our son on the Fiengold Program of diet. We removed wheat, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives as well as Sylicate acids and he is a whole new relaxed, well spoken, loving boy! We saw great results quickly, in 2 days he was potty trained and in 2 weeks he added 150 words plus he had emotional control! No more tearful outbursts of little things!! Please try diet adjusments before you give your child Adderall!!

You will Do what is best for your child!! Hang in there and trust your instincts!!
Momma Power to you!!,

My 3 year old is also autistic. We have not administered any medications. We have however taken him off of dairy and we saw a huge difference in his outbursts. We took him off of all milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, etc... It was hard for the first couple of days since he loves cheese and milk. We switched him to rice milk. A specialist was the one who suggested it. We were totally amazed at the difference. It even improved his eye contact.
Our next ste is to remove gluton. This will be harder as so many things have glutton in it.
Best of luck! We know how difficult it can be. We have known since our son was 9 months old that something was not right.

You need to get a second opinion. I trusted my doctor as well and now he is no longer my doctor. Any doctor that prescribes adderall to a 3 year old without having him checked out by local school assessment specialist and Childrens hospital specialist is a quack in my opinion. My son wasnt diagnosed until March of this year. He is 4 and will be 5 in January. He attends the early childhood developemental school in our school district (since Dec of 2006) and they are the ones who assessed him then I took him to the local childrens hospital and they verified and gave him his diagnosis. No where in there was there any mention for drugging up my son. There are many more ways to help your son. Feel free to message me I have a few sites that would help you with your son and they dont involve drugging him ....

Hello,

Teresa

Hi N.
I just want to remind you that you never have to give your child medication that makes you uncomfortable! Especially for autism. I am a pediatric nurse and my neighbors son is 6 and autistic and I have been working with him and his family with a wonderful program for autistic children that has nothing to do with medications. No two kids are alike, and medication does work for some, but it does not have to be your first choice, especially for your 3 year old. If you want to hear more about the Son-rise program that my neighbor is working on with her son please send me a message. I wish you the best for your family!
H.

Have you noticed any difference after giving your son this medicine?

There is no one cure all drug for the autism itself.. just to treat certain aspects of the disorder... whatever might affect your son the most, if he seems to have a problem with implusivity and focus, then maybe this is why the doctor prescribed it. I have two daugthers with ADHD (one might actually be Asperger's) and this medicine seems to help them. There are many medications out there to treat the ADHD-like symptoms.

I recommend you find out everything you can about your son's autism, join groups for support - online and locally. And get him therapy.. there are many aspects of his disorder that will need to be dealt with, he may need phsycial therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and there are a host of other things that can be done for him. They key is early intervention and to get a head start to deal with each facet of how his autism affects him. Counseling and group therapy - for the whole family - may be in order as well. Some kids even go on anti-depressants... but my tendency is to think that since your child is so young, you've got a head start to avoid the magnitude of low self-esteem that comes with having this disorder, many of these kids know they are different and it leads to depression because of their lack of verbal skills/pragmatics, they can't express it quite right.

And if you are also feeling hesitant about medicine, Seek another professional's opinion. Adderall can cause a decrease in appetite and the doctor should watch him quite closely.. now is not the time for him to be losing weight, some doctors will recommend meal supplement shakes. If your son is a typical 3 year old he is probably a picky eater.. so him not having an appetite due to the medicine is going to make getting him to eat even harder.

I highly recommend getting "The Out-of-Sync Child" and the companion book "The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun" book - it is an easy read and you will get your own ideas on how to deal with sensory issues your son may deal with. Many ideas for calming - aromatherapy, joint compression, gentle massages - all of these have worked for my 4 year old son.

You have a big challenge set before you, but there is lots of help and support out there, there are many options for services out there, privately and through the school district, that are available to help your son adjust and to gain the skills he needs to go to school and fit in as best as he is able. You are very blessed to recognize his challenges NOW so you can get a head start on helping him. Call your local school district to see what programs he may qualify for. Where I live they have an Early Intervention Program for 3-5 year olds, you'll have to have him evaluated with them to qualify, bring all your doctor's paperwork, he may qualify for special preschool programs in the school for kids like him. Check out and ask everywhere what is available.

Best wishes...

Fits are a common Autistic trait. You are his mother, if you don't feel he should be on drugs you do not have to give them to him. If he is not endanger of hurting himself or others then all the drugs are going to do is make him easier for you to manage. And that is not something to be taken lightly that is for sure. But this is a choice you get to make, not the doctors. If it is only Autism then him not having the drugs are not going to hurt him.

Luck and Joy,

there are other natural ways to calm your son. My friend's mom is an herbalist and they have delt with autism and have been able to help children with autism. We are in Gresham, not sure where you are. I'd love to give you her number. there is also help for you that is free for children with disablities they give you one on one create a educational plan for him and give assistance in preschool for him as well.
it's called Early intervention. They should help you soo much more than the doctors. they specialize in helping families like yours.

1 / 3