3 Year Old Halloween Birthday Party - Pumpkin Decorating Ideas

For my daughter's 3rd birthday this October, we are having a costume party. I thought it would be fun for them to also decorate their own pumpkin as an activity - take home gift. Does anyone have any creative ideas for how to decorate small pumpkins without carving them? Also, any other creative crafty/activity ideas for this age group that is related to halloween?
THANK YOU!

Last year Wal-Mart carried a pumpkin foam project that had sticky eyes, nose, and mouths. Instead of using the foam pumpkins we put the sticky face parts on small pumpkins. It was really cute. I have not looked for this set this year but I bet you could find something similiar either at Wal-Mart or local craft store.

I have also seen rolling pumpkins in glitter and they look really good. This may be a little messy but the end result is something to talk about:)

It sounds like so much fun.....enjoy!

Buy some poster paints and sponge type paint brushes (and maybe some regular brushes too) and let them paint the pumpkins

Hi Dena

I taught 3-years-olds for over 15 years and raised two of my own, one who's birthday is October 25. 3-year-olds love to paint - I know you are saying to yourself right now as you are reading this, is she crazy. Buy some WASHABLE paint in fall colors (brown, green, yellow, red, orange) and some SMALL paint brushes from a craft store and have them paint their pumpkin when the first get there so they will have time to dry. Believe me they will love it!

Disney Family Fun has some great ideas - http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfea...

Have a fun Halloween Birthday party for you daughter!

It sounds like so much fun.....enjoy!

Hi Dena,
You could use colored markers or mr potatoe head parts.

You could play tape the witches hat on (kind of like pin the tail on the donkey, without pins).

You could hide candy through out a room, and in some little plastic pumpkins put some special prizes (like you would do for an easter egg hunt).

I hope this helps.

Good luck & a pre happy birthday to your daughter.

Hi Dena,

Check out the Oriental Trading Co website - they have TONS of craft and holiday related stuff and most all of it is in "unit" or "case" lots of 6 or 12 for not a lot of money. I just got a catalog from them with all the Halloween stuff and they have sticker sets to decorate pumpkins with, in addition to lots of cute treat bag stuff for a Halloween themed party. Good luck finding what you are looking for and Happy Birthday to your little one! C. :)

In the past we have used markers, water-soluble paints, glue and glitter and cut out construction paper shapes to glue on the faces. If you use the washable markers, they tend to smear but as an inside activity, it's a lot easier to clean up. We always line the floor with newspaper too. It still gets a bit messy but it's much safer than carving. Good luck!

Have them either paint the pumpkins or get stickers with funny faces on them...you know that have the different eyes, nose, ears, mouth, etc. that they can choose and put on their pumpkin.

Markers work ok and are a little cleaner than paint. If you're up to it, tempra paint works great to decorate pumpkins. If you're looking for something completely non-mess, try stickers. And remember, it's all about the fun!

1 / 3