3 Year Old Daughter Complains of Being Cold

My 3 year old daughter has recently been complaining of being cold. It's summer and its been hot outside, and our air conditioning is usually set at 74 degrees. She has large tonsils and is going to be having surgery to remove her tonsils and adanoids. I'm wondering if her "cold" complaint will end after surgery when she's feeling better, or if I need to contact her doctor. Should I mention it when we go to the hospital for surgery? Just wondering since she will experience some bleeding during the procedure. Could it be something more serious, like anemia? My husband has thyaroid disease...could my daughter have it too?

What does she usually wear? I mean is she wearing tops with spaghetti straps or jeans and a t-shirt? Also, people are different. My husband and my boys never get hot, so I'm the one who's always cold. I just put on a sweatshirt and go on with my life. Why be uncomfortable?

Frankly, at 74 degrees, I tend to be cold, also.... our house is usually warmer than that during the summer, although it is hard to tell.. we use window AC units, but the ones that can be set to a temperature are usually at 76 or so..... (It is usually high 90's to 100's here during the summer, so I understand about it being hot out.)

Also, if the air is blowing directly on me, that makes me colder, also.

I would start out by assuming that she's cold and not try to attach a health issue to it. Put more clothes on her and see if she's warm enough.

AC at 74 would have me complaining of freezing. I wouldn't put mine below 78 or even 80 at times. Especially when it is hot outside, my body adjusts to the warmer weather and being cold inside is no fun. I also don't see the need to wear a sweatshirt and socks (as some people have advised me) in the summertime!

Definitely have her tsh level checked. My husband and I both have thyroid disease and 2 of our 4 kids do as well. Being cold is one of the 1st noticeable symptoms. Younger daughter lived Ion the heat vents with a blanket! It's genetic and can start young. One daughter's started at 3. good news is its treatable. Good luck!

Are you sure she really means that she's cold? Does she want a sweater or blanket?

I ask because sometimes kids just don't know the right word for things. I remember my GS telling me he had a head ache and when I asked him to show me where it hurt, he pointed to his stomach.

Not to discount what your daughter is telling you, but there is also the thought that maybe she doesn't really know what she is talking about. My daughter is JUST NOW realizing temperature differences and she is 5. For some reason that one thing was difficult for her to grasp. I remember a 3 year old I used to babysit told me she was "freezing" and we were outside and it wasn't cold at all. Just throwing that out there.

I am an individual who is always colder than others. I have always been this way, even as a small child. I have had my thyroid checked many times. Nothing wrong, just the way my body is. I would be somewhat chilly wearing summer clothing in the house with the AC set at 74. Having said that I would have your daughter checked by a dr, just in case. I also agree taht sometimes a 3 yr old may not understand the meaning and usage of some words used to describe body feelings.

1 / 3