3 Year Old Blinking Alot

Hello-My three (almost 4) year old son has started blinking a lot lately. I would say for the past month or so. I have noticed it getting worse in the past couple of days. His preschool teacher mentioned it to me today when I picked him up and she has noticed it just this week. He told her that his eyes hurt and told me that it "stings". His eyes look fine with no redness. I'm not sure if he is just saying that because my husband and I have asked him if his eyes hurt. Maybe he has developed a tick?? Has anyone seen this happen with their child? I was thinking I should call his pediatrician tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones responces and advice. I contacted my son's pediatrician who referred us to a pediatric opthalmologist. He tested my son's vision and dilated his eyes. He said everything was fine and most likely it was a tick. He told me to ignore it, which we have. He said ticks come and go during childhood and they are very common. My son has stopped the blinking, since we stopped talking about it. I'm glad it all turned out fine.

I would go to an eye dr. could be allergies, dry eye. who knows? but, one of my kids has sooo many eye problems, and his ped isn't so great in that dept-if it isn't pink eye then he is clueless

HI J., you might want to make an appt with the eye Dr. If it is visual - eye strain can make the eyes tired and irritated causing excessive blinking. If not the Dr. can also let you know if it is anything else eye related and you can go from there.

I have eye allergies and my eyes itch and burn but are never red. Might ask the doctor if there are eye drops you can try and see if that will help.

Hi J. - Sounds like allergies! My grandson was doing the same thing this passed month. In the SB area with the dry conditions - it turned out to be environmental allergies and will clear up when the weather changes. Her son is almost 5 yrs. This may be the case with your son.
Your Dr. can give him something to help him through it.

sounds like his eyes are blurry, common sign with young kids blinking alot to focus the eyes, check if eyelash is in the eye or something like a fume is bugging him, take him to the eye doctor make sure he doesn't need glasses. Does poor eye sight run in yur family ? By the way does he wear alot of white shirts ? T-shirts, school uniform if so are you using bleach on them.. double rinse the bleach, you would be surprised how bleach still smells after washing with it.

My DS used to blink a lot (around the 2-3 year period) and sometimes the extended and hard blink. We had the ped. check out his vision and all was well, so we just stopped mentioning it and it went away. He sometimes blinks a lot now (5-1/2 years old), but it coincides with his eyes "leaking" (his word) and I see it also coincides with him being tired (although never admitting it). Doesn't hurt to look into it.

Since he is mentioning hurting and stinging it is probably allergies so see what the dr. says, maybe get a referral to an optometrist. Keeping a log of the occurances will be helpful.

Eye blinking can also be a motor tic. It can be a nervous tic or a tic of Tourette Syndrome, which I saw another mom mention.

Tourette Syndrome is a hereditary neuroligcal disorder consisting of involuntary motor and vocal tics. Both of my children have this and it is not as bad as most think thanks to media stereotypes. Tics get better or worse over time and come and go. Symptoms can begin as early as age 3 but usually a diagnosis occurs in the school-age years when tics become more previlent. My son had a blinking tic where he would blink in rapid succesion over the course of a minute or so.

If you would like to know of other tics related to TS let me know or you can look it up on webmd.com. But the stinging would lead me to think it's not TS but an eye related problem.

Southern Calif. School of Opt has an Eye care center that has a great pediatric staff. I knew of a young girl who also had the same complaints and similar problems as your son and it turned out she had tiny tiny eyelashes growing towards the eye. I don't recall what the treatment was, but this center is a great start.

http://www.sccoeyecare.com/

My 5 year old started doing this a few months back. I was told that it was probably a tick that he developed, or allergies was a strong possibilty. My aunt who is a nurse told me to try Benadryl for a few days. It worked. We also stopped giving too much attention to this, in case he did it for the attention. You should check with your doctor if there is any other worry with it. I got freaked out when I started doing research on the internet. He stopped the blinking within a couple weeks. Hope this helps

hi! when i was little i did the same thing and every so often i catch myself doing it still! it turned out i had seasonal allergies. mine werent really bad, just the sniffles and itchy eyes and or throat. hopefully its not a big deal, you can try giving him childrens benedryl, if that doesnt work then definitely take him to a doctor to see if it isnt something worse.

always remember to stay calm and dont freak out! its never really bad when youre afraid it is! but you would know deep down if it were!

good luck!

1 / 3