3 Year Old Birthday Gift for a Girl!

Hi Moms!
My daughter just got invited to her first "kid" birthday party for her little friend across the street. I have absolutley NO idea what to give as gift. I know she is a fan of Minnie Mouse (she was on the invitation) so I had thought about those Disney Crocs. But is a 3 year old going to be excited about a pair of shoes? I am looking to spend about $30 on the gift, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful! This is a whole new world we are entering and I am at a complete loss! Thanks ladies!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! We ended up going with sidewalk chalk, bubbles and a Mickey Mouse activity kit! It was a hit! Now we have another party next Sunday for a 1 year old...welcome to the world of birthday parties! :)

Love the summer idea, we do this for most summer birthday parties. Get a bucket with the sand digging tools, a noodle, some goggles, a beach ball, a beach towel and some bubbles or side walk chaulk. It is always a hit, you can customize it in color for the gender and get age appropriate items. Blow up the beach ball and put in the noodle (kids LOVE to get a big package, they don't care how much it costs, you can do this for much less than $30!

I would say there's no need to spend $30 on a gift for a birthday party. There are usually a lot of gifts from lots of people, so just do something little for like $10. Sometimes the birthday girl receives so many toy gifts, the parents might appreciate receiving a gift the child needs. I usually RSVP to parties and at the same time ask the parents what the child is interested in or if she needs anything.

Many little girls like Dora the Explorer, barbie dolls, pretend makeup or hair dressing. Practically every child loves bubbles and side walk chalk.

My little girl just turned 4 and we got her crocs and she loved them. She alo receved a crown and wand and lots of play jewelery. Clothes and coloring books are always good and art supplies always keep them busy. Good luck!

Almost all 3 year olds love to play dress up. Instead of getting real clothes/shoes, get dress-up stuff like tiara, boa, princess dress, hats, fake jewelry, etc. You can find whole sets in most toy stores. Some even sell them in a chest, but I don;t recall the cost. And, if she gets duplicates, they are most likely to keep both sets to share when friends come over.

Unless you're in the family, I think "fun" gifts are always the best bet.

My children (2 and 4) just got crocs from Grandma and had to sleep with them! Great gift idea!

Hi M.!

My daughter turned 3 last year. Dress up clothes were a HUGE hit with her. My mom bought her a whole box full of Disney Princess dresses and she was over the moon! One of the other things we had gotten for her at a previous birthday was an AquaDoodle. That was one of the best gifts we ever got! The pad is colored on by pens and there's stamp pads and design rollers - the best part...it's all water so if they color off the pad it doesn't do a thing to the surface they're using. Hope that helps.

If she loves Disney or Minnie Mouse, she will love most anything with that on it. If you have a Disney Store in your area that would be the best place to start. We have one fairly close to us. They have and can give a lot of ideas. You could go to Disney.com, too. Don't know how much time you have. Disney.com should even give you ideas and if there is a store near you.

My daughter just turned 3 - and she is in love with bubbles! What about a huge jug of bubbles and a bubble machine or a basket full of different wands, etc?

My daughter is 3 and she loves shoes, so she would be excited about getting any pair of shoes, but she also got a 3 wheeled radio flyer scooter for her birthday, it has 3 wheels to keep it sturdier for the younger kids and is pink, I believe they got it at Walmart and was about 30 dollars, she loves it and its great for outside summer activities!

My youngest daughter is three years old and she loves her crocs.....she has purple and one with princesses on them. Since you are unsure what the girl likes, I would talk to the girls mom to see what she likes then will know what type of things to buy. Another suggestion if you don't want to ask, is books, games, bubbles or a coloring book.........

I hope your daughter has a great time at the birthday party!

I am new to the kid birthday party too. But I think $30.00 is a little high. You may be suprised at how quickly your little girl gets invited to kids birthday parties. After the 2nd or 3rd party you might be wondering how to pay for all of these gifts! Preschool is one place they start to make friends and they are not selective about friends at that age. They want everyone to be their friend. There were 19 kids in my kids preschool class.

I agree with the others that sidewalk chalk or bubbles are a good gift. Games are great too. There are some learning games out there that are really cute. Candy Land is a great game to help teach colors and turn taking, and also encourages language skills with turn taking in conversation. I found Go, Diego Go Kidz Cards are a hit with my boys (now 4) over the past year. That one has Memory Match, Go Fish, Crazy Eights, and Rummy card in it. So it will grow with the child. Leap Frog has a Alphabet go fish and Math Rummy game that are great with holder to help those little hands the cards. I pick maybe 5 letters at a time and play go fish with my twins. I also take the number cards from the math rummy and use them as go fish cards. There is only 2 of each and it helped work on counting. Playing cards was a definate interest from 3 or 3-1/2 to 4. It was a great way to help learn letters and numbers along with turn taking.

HI M.,

I recently attended a bday party for a very girly 3yo. I went to the toy store, I think it is called, and bought her "my first purse" it included a mirror, a comb, a wallet etc.
My friend said she absolutely loved it, but I've never seen her wear it when I've seen her :(
I tried asking my sister who has a 3 yo but couldn't get a hold of her the day I went shopping.
Some of the other suggestions may be a better idea....

Oh well... I tried :)

I think $30 is a bit much to spend on a gift for a 3 yr old. You might ask your daughter what she thinks her friend would like. Bubbles were a great idea, my son has always loved sidewalk chalk.
If the 3 yr old is allowed to watch tv, Veggie Tales dvd's are great. A couple different times I've gotten a V.T. dvd and found some veggie shaped sidewalk chalk at Wal-Mart. It's always a hit and how can you go wrong with Veggie Tales? :-)
~T.

Hi there,

I have had the pleasure of attending many 3year old b-day parties with my son...so I can offer some advice. For a three year old, I like to buy games such as Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, Memory...ect. She might be a little too young now, but as the year progresses she will be able to play with her parents or friends. Hope that helps!

My daughter turned 3 a few months ago. She loved her gift of butterfly wings. They pull onter her shoulders like a back pack and she enjoys running around the house flapping her arms like wings. Candy jewelry was a hit too as were bubbles with large wands, magic wands, and watercolor books.

We recently visited our granddaughters in Ca. and our youngest is just going to be 2 but she loves to play dress up with Cinderella,Dorthy and even Woody, I think since she likes Minnie Mouse an outfit would be cute. I think the kids got the outfits at Disney.com??? Good luck K.

You've gotten some great advice. I love the pj's. Have you thought of summer stuff...swimsuit, sand bucket & tools, a little table with umbrella & chairs (look around you can find these in your price range), beach balls, etc. One thing my kids loved was a bug kit with a butterfly net and plastic container you can see into for catching lightning bugs & butterflies, etc.

If you are planning to spend $30 on a gift - get the crocs! As a mom of 7 - I can tell you that kids get their fill of toys. At any moment - a new toy might seem great. But to have something practical but that is kind of a luxury is the best gift. I personally like to give character pajamas as gifts. Kids love to wear them and PJ's are expensive - so the parents love to get them too.

I understand where you are coming from as I am a mom of 2 and my oldest is 3. I sell for a company called BabyCrazy and we have this game called Paper Doll Game. It offers a mix of learning and fun by showing girls everything involved with dressing up and learning all the things to think about in a very fun way. We also have a variety of products for her age group that are not available in stores, you can order directly from my website at www.iambabycrazy.com/adecker. Good luck with whatever you find as I am sure she will enjoy it.

I think Disney crocs is a great, and creative, idea. My 2 yr old daughter loves Dora, and I bought her a pair of Dora shoes (against my better judgement :)), and she is IN LOVE with the shoes. I think your idea is very personal and I think she will love them! Another idea (though I like yours better) would be a Minnie/Mickey DVD or two.