3 Week Old Sleeping on Their Side

Hello Everyone,
My 3 week old has caught a cold from our 20 month old. I have 2 questions, the first one is, is there anything else I can do for her other than Vicks vapor rub? She hasn't had a fever, she is just really congested. My second question is can I have her sleep on her side? I know they recommend infants sleeping on their back and she does most of the time. But with her being so congested she seems to sleep better on her side. For one of her naps today I moved the wedges closer together to prop her up. I sat next to the basinet to watch her and she slept much better. I am just looking for some input.

Thank You for all your help.

I have a 7 1/2 year old & 18 mo. old (we wanted them closer in age but it didn't work out). I always put them to sleep on their sides when they were babies. I didn't have the wedges, we rolled up hand towels & put 1 on each side. Have you tried a vaporizor in the bedroom? Also, did the hospital give you one of those blue suction balls? They helped my girls a lot when they were stuffy. Good luck & try to get some rest!
H.

becareful my doctor told me NOT to use the vicks rub. read bottle carefully i think it said under 6 months do not use some study done recently, he recommended little noses vapor spray and humidifier. all my kids sleep on belly since 6 weeks ..

I would think what ever works for you. None of my boys every slept on their backs. I honestly think side sleeping is better.

My children both slept on their sides, the nurses in the hospital did it too. You can use a saline spray and nasal bulb. Put the drops in each side and let it settle for a few seconds, then suction it out with the bulb. Another option is to prop up the end of the mattress with a pillow or blankets (placing these under the mattress, not the baby), or let her sleep in her car seat or bouncy seat since that will keep her head elevated.

Put a cool air vaporizer in the room with her while she is sleeping. My doctor always has us do that when our kids are congested or coughing.

I don't think side-sleeping is a bad thing, but if you're worried about it, try proping the baby up. You said basinet, so this may not work for that (I've only tried it in a crib). Take a few regular sized bed pillows and put them under the head end of the matress so baby is at about a 45 degree angle. If this isn't possible, consider letting baby sleep in the bouncy seat or infant carrier. The angle helps the mucus from the sinuses drain out of the nasal cavity, making it a bit easier to breath. Hope this helps.

My babies always slept in the wedge on their sides at night. I just made sure the wedges were hitting about midchest so there was no way to cover their mouth. Also, it helped round out their head so they didn't get a flat spot on the back.

I think she should do fine on her side. If you like you could try letting her sleep in her car seat with her head propped up as well. A cool mist vaporizer should help too.

The suggestions I got from my doctor when my kids were that little and had colds were these: tilt the head of the bed a little - this helps with drainage (sometimes I even just let my kids sleep buckled in their carseats to keep them upright). Use a vaporizer, this really helps keep the air moist and will REALLY help with congestion. Lastly, buy saline nasal drops for infants and put a few in each nostril and then suction out the "gunk" with a bulb syringe. Colds are always tricky with little ones - hope she's feeling better soon!

When my son was 2 weeks old he got r.s.v (respiratory syncitial virus) and when i got home i used a humidifier pointer away from his crib and used wedges to prop him on his side for his naps but at night i elevated his matress so he could stay on his back only he was actually able to breath and didnt cough nearly at all..i hope this helps

1 / 3