3 Week Old Breast Fed Baby Not Pooping

My 3 week old didn't poop for 24 hrs, but did pee. I called the Doc. They really didn't say much... i tried the gas meds, the rubbing belly, moving legs, purping on belly... even the thermometer in the butt. I don't know of anything dif in my diet other than popcorn. I am going to try to eat more fiberous foods myself.... but she seems so uncomfortable and gassy... she screamed a ton yesterday and obviously had trouble. She finally had yellow water out of her butt one time today. They said i could try 1/2 a suppository if she's that uncomfortable. I didn't think breast fed babies were supposed to have this problem! anybody have this issue?

thanks everyone... we ended up doing 1/2 a suppository cuz she obviously was in some kind of pain. 3 hrs later she pooped about 6 times in 20 minutes and has been back to normal. very strange as all the poops were normal yellow and runny poops so not 'constipation' but some how it got all backed up!!!

It's totally normal for a breastfed baby to not poop but 1x a week at this age. They absorb all of the breastmilk and there is no waste. I would not use a thermometer to make her poop. You could inadvertantly perforate her colon that way. Keep an close eye on her wet diapers, but don't worry too much about the dirty ones. She will poop when she needs to. As long as she is exclusively breastfed, constipation is very rare.

happend to me too. my doc said for breast fed it is normal to be different all the time. that there was no magic poop number as long as they had i think it was like 6-10 wet diapers a day they were good. if you think it's causing pain for the baby, you can try putting the baby on their stomach, head to the side, butt proped up with like knees under. elevating the butt and rub on the back some magical way helps the baby expel gas. i thought my doc was nuts, but it worked.

It can be normal for a baby to not poop for up to seven days, especially if they are starting a growth spurt and using most of what is put into them. If baby is really fussy try a warm wash cloth to the tummy or use a little olive oil and massage the tummy a little to help move around gas bubbles. But be ready if they do poop I had my 4month old not poop for 6 days and then go all day long up his back down to his toes. Call your doctor if there is any "scream" crying, it's a high pitched cry that sounds like pain, it will be obvious. Please unless your Doc know you will try something like Karo syrup don't do it, along the lines you may get this advice from others. In kids to young it can throw their system into an imbalance of fluid loss that can take time to recover.

Being "regular" doesn't mean pooping every day, just pooping "regularly" so that could mean every day or twice a day or once a week. Your baby is so young that she is still establishing her normal routine. Breastfed babies can poop several times a day or once a week or somwehere in between. If you are sure her discomfort is from gas/needing to poop, I would try what you did with the pumping the legs, etc (and try warm washcloth on the belly). But I would leave things alone as far as the rectal thermometer and suppositories. They are pretty invasive IMO when a problem may not really exist. She also just may have been fussy and gassy unrelated to not pooping. Her system is still adjusting. Good luck.

Breast milk is so pure that they can use every bit of it during a growth spurt. You will see this several times over the next year. There is nothing to poop out, he used it all. The thing is there is also nothing to push out the poo that is in there. Stop trying to fix it, it is normal. Now when he does poop, plan on staying home that day or packing 5 outfits for the daycare! I breastfed 4 kids. The first one I freaked out on this, but not after that! They do not have to poop every day! They can go up to a week!

After the first few days, breastfed babies don't always poop every day. That doesn't mean they are constipated....constipation happens when they have hard stools that they can't push out.

I would not be concerned or give suppositories unless it goes about three days. There isn't a lot of waste with breastmilk. Alot of babies about that age do start to get fussier. All you can do is try the gas meds, sometimes some gripe water, and I always notice that when I eat something that makes me gassy, my baby usually is too. Also alot of times they will "save it up" and have a giant poop....it is frequently an age where "blowouts" are common.

My son would sometimes poop daily, sometimes once every few days. I would keep doing what you're doing, and hopefully she evens out a bit soon.

S.:

it is difficult to know exactly but I would want to look at your diet/ your supplements/ hers....

A lactation consultant would be able to help through this...

P., RLC, IBCLC, CST
Breastfeeding and Parenting Solutions

1 / 3