3 Month Old with Pneumonia (1St Time Mom)

Hello! My 3 month old son was diagnosed with pneumonia on October 16th. He was on 10 days of antibiotic which ended yesterday morning. The last couple days his head congestion has gotten 10 times worse. I feel like he is getting worse before he is getting better. Any suggestions?

My son had this when he was about 6 months old. I took him to the Dr. and he sent us home with a portable respirator and some albuterol, to administor every 6 hours.My son didnt like sitting there for 20 mins with the mask over his nose and mouth, but it kept us out of the E.R. Take him to the Dr. and ask about a portable breathing treatment. It worked wonders for us. Good Luck and GOD BLESS!!!

Use saline in the nose and suction so he can breathe. Did they give you a nebulizer machine?? That would also be helpful. He needs to go back to the Doctor ASAP!! My son had to go to the emergency room at 3 mos. then by ambulance to the childrens hospital where he stayed for 2 days. The ER said it was pneumonia but it wasn't that time. A month later it was. His doctor says it is probably asthma. Now he is 9 mos doing much better but has to take medication everyday. They can turn for the worse so fast when they are that small.

Call the pediatrician. I would ask for some sort of decongestant. My daughter's sinuses kept getting stuffed up and they gave me al-de-hist (or something like that). She was only 4 months old at the time so I'm sure it's pretty safe at 3 months. Make the nasal syringe your best friend and use it all the time despite the screaming. A lot of times Brittany would cry when I was using it but immediately after she would stop crying because she realized she could breath again. Did they do x-ray's to diagnose the pneumonia? You should definately let the doctor know that she isn't doing well. Even though it's the weekend, I would go ahead and call the doctor on call. They expect us to call morning, noon, or night.

Good Luck, I hope your little one is all smiles soon.

I would be at the er in a heart beat....you dont mess around with stuff like this and i dont know why your dr didnt put the child in the hospital in the first place for iv meds........i know that sounds harsh but its the best way to get rid and over it..........i know for sure that your dr would probably admit an adult in a heart beat......i would be wondering why the pediatrician hadnt done such also........

If he is getting worse you need to have him at the ER or the DR. office. He will most likely need some strong antibotics. I hope he feels better soon. Always remember you know your child better than any Dr. if you think something is wrong then something is wrong. Push the issue. Some Dr.'s are non-chalant about things and it ends up being serious.

If the child continues to be sick and especially if he has problems gaining weight as well I would consider having the child tested for cystic fibrosis. This was our first signs and symptoms before my daughter was diagnoses. She had pneumonia for 3 months and we couldnt get rid of it.

Call the doctor, I am sure you have an emergency number for him/her. Keep the baby sitting up if the congestion is worse and in the lungs, he needs to sit up to breath properly. Do you have a vaporizor or humidifier on in the room he is in? Cool mist may work better for the congestion. Is he still running a fever? Use cool not cold cloths on the back of his neck and wrists. If the doctor doesn't give you a satisfactory answer, call 911. I would rather be safe with a 3 month old. DON'T WAIT JUST DO IT. He is to young for the over the counter medications that would help with the congestions unless the doctor tells you to give it to him. Let us know what happens and I will keep you and your baby in my prayers.

Hi C.! Sorry to hear your baby has been sick. I'm in the healthcare field and have been for 12 years. My recommendation to you, and hopefully your pediatrician already advised this, is to have a follow up xray to ensure the pneumonia has resolved. Head congestion can be from many causes. My children both suffer from allergies and they started at very young ages. They each have food allergies and I unknowingly was giving them allergens (milk in one instance). Do you have pets in your home? Any smokers? All factors that can contribute. I definately would have a follow up chest xray to make sure the pneumonia responded to the antibiotics. I wish you great health!

1 / 3