3 Month Old with Green Runny Poop

Hello moms. Our little baby girl has had a very runny/watery dark green poop for about a month now. She is exclusively breastfed and is at 95th percentile with respect to her weight. She has gained about 2.5lbs during this time. We went to see her pediatrician and because our daughter is healthy, happy baby who eats well, sleeps well and has gained weight in the last month, she doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong with the baby. She suggested that I add more fat to my diet. I have noticed that the fat content of my milk seems to be lower than during the first two months. I am told by the pediatrician to add one serving of yogurt, eat more oily fish and nuts before we run lab test on her stool samples. I am inclined to get the lab tests done ASAP rather than waiting. Has anyone experienced this type of watery poop that resolved itself or experienced changes in breast milk that affected the stool?

My mom (retired RN, 80 yrs old) told me , when my kids were babaies, that green poop is SUGAR. If you are breastfeeding, are you eating lotsa sugar? Just a thought.

What do you eat? I have noticed that whenever I eat certain foods (for example, spinach) it will be more green. (orange if I eat a lot of carrots/sweet potatoes) I can *really* smell my urine, which is also a lovely shade of green, if I eat a lot of asparagus! :-P

That may just be her normal digestive process - I'd change what you eat and see how it changes her poo. Just because it is green & watery, doesnt mean something is wrong (esp with her doing so well in all other respects).

Do you take vitamins or supplements? Do you eat healthy? If you do (and even if you dont) that may very well be causing that. All the "green vitamins" have to go somewhere. Or it could be a lack in the variety of vitamins/minerals/nutrients our bodies need.

I remember having shockingly green poop in diapers and wondering what the heck he or I ate to cause that?!?! Not to worry. Normal. (then once you're ok with green diapers, it'll be yellow! or orange! It gets *really* interesting when they start eating on their own!)

I had the same problem and learned that she was lactose intolerant. It meant that I had to quit ALL dairy products and read labels. That improved for a while but still noticed some issues. It was soon after that I also learned that she had a soy allergy and therefore had to eliminate soy as well. once both of these were gone, her stool returned to normal - no matter how much fat or green food I ate, and despite the one side or two of nursing.

Best wishes on this problem, it might take some time to find the source but is well worth it.

I remember an issue like this with one of my daughters. It has something to do with her just getting mostly the foremilk but not enough of the hindmilk. Basically, I remember it had something to do with making sure she emptied my breast before changing sides.

H.,

As long as your baby isn't acting sick or overly fussy, I wouldn't worry about the poop.Especially since your baby is gaining weight etc. Breastfed babies have runny poop and the color changes depending on what you eat. Have you added something new to your diet in the past month or so? Keep a food journal for a few days and eliminate suspecting items-- see what happens with her poop. Good luck and try not to worry!

If it will make you feel better and put your mind at ease, follow your intuition and tell the Dr. to test her poop. I'm like you, just get the test done so anything that could be wrong is ruled out. If somethig could be wrong, why wait. Good luck

H., I'm going to kind of agree with your pediatrician. Green stools in a breastfed baby are often the sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Which basically means your baby is getting more of the watery milk that initially comes out when breastfeeding and not enough of the fatty hindmilk that comes out later in a nursing session.

Eating foods higher in healthy fats like you mentioned can help. But how you nurse your baby can also greatly effect this. Are you feeding from both breasts during a feeding or just one? Are you timing how long the baby is at a single breast or just letting th feed until satisfied?

Of you are feeding from both breasts, try feeding from only one at each session. If after burping, baby is still hungry, place them back on the same breast and let them feed until satisfied. This will ensure they are getting to the fatty hindmilk in that breast instead of filling up on foremilk fr both breasts. Make sense? Then at the next nursing session only feed from the other breast.

Try doing this for a day or two. You should hopefully see the poop begin to go back to the yellow color. Hope this helps.

I have a friend dealing with this now with her 6 week old...She researched it and found out that green poop at this age and stage generally means there is a virus running its course through the baby's body. As long as the baby is not uncomfortable from the stools, I would just keep waiting it out, and think about giving your baby some water to help clear out any virus that might be in his/her body.

1 / 3