3 Month Old - Very Smelly Gas

This past week, my 3 month old has been passing gas and it smells VERY bad. The only thing I can think it can be, is that I changed formulas from a soy based to a milk based. She doesn't seem uncomfortable or anything. Do you think anything is wrong?

I used soy based formula for my son because I couldn't stand the smell of the milk based. If it smell that bad I couldn't imagine it tasted any better!

No, it is a pretty normal thing for babies to have digesitve changes with formula changes. It should pass and be just fine, just keep a stock of clothespins handy! LOL!

It probably is her gut bacteria responding to the change to milk sugars, lactose. If she does not seem upset and her poos are still normal I wouldn't worry. You can give her pro-biotics which can help her good gut bacteria. I saw that there is a probiotic formula on th market now, or you can just buy capsules at Longs or a health food store and add 1/2 a capsule to her formula or just add some water to it on a spoon and give it to her orally, this may help the stinkiness of her gas
good Luck

You didn't mention why you were using soy formula in the first place...

On the one hand you could switch back for a few days and see if the gas continues. On the other hand, if your baby acts like herself and is thriving, why change?

My son is lactose intolerant and drank only soy formula and even now at age three drinks only lactose free milk or lactose free soy milk. He gets gas, runny poop, tummy cramps and gets cranky if he drinks milk (or eats cheese or yogurt).

His cousin had terrible gas - smelly and loud - as a baby. The mom used a different formula, maybe carnation dha or something like that - for extra sensitive tummies. It worked.

All these smart Mommies have hit the nail on the head. It's called lactose intollerance. My one month old had uncomfortable gas for over a month and even started breaking capilaries around her anus when passing gas, because it was so uncomfortable. Imagine our horror to find blood in her diaper. I'll never let her touch formula again (I had let a friend administer it because I did not have enough breastmilk in a bottle while babysitting). And, I've cut all diary out of my diet. Now hardly any gas, certainly nothing painful and no blood in diaper. If you are nursing and have to cut out dairy, be sure to supplement with calcium tablets. Hug your baby too!!!

I breast fed my daughter, but she also had horrible gas and we figured out it was the dairy in my diet...I cut out dairy and she stopped cutting gas! Try changing back to a soy based formula or other no-dairy one and see if it changes again.

If she is getting gas that bad it is possible that she is lactos intollerent and you should change back. but if you do not like the smell of the soy or she does not like the taste then try Isomil as it is lactos free and see if that helps and it does not have that soy smell or taste. I had my daughter on Isomil until she was 3 years old becauce she was allergic to milk. Then I gradually intorduced her back to the milk by mixing the formula and milk until she was getting just milk and no formula. I thought it might be an idea. Good luck with this problem.....ps my daughter had very bad smelling gas and a lot of it as well.

My little man is 2 months old and I have been trying to get him on formula since birth and off of me. I tried the soy formula and he was very gassy and I think it was because he did and still goes days without a BM. So my question to you is, is she going? Changing their food messes with there little bellies. My little guy has not gone since Saturday night and he is starting to get smelly. The Dr. said to give him 1 teaspoon of corn syrup in a 2 oz bottle twice a day and that will help him go. I resisted at first - not feeling comfortable giving it to him, but it worked Saturday and did it again yesterday and today and now I am just waiting to do the poo poo dance. Isn't being a mom glamorous. :)

1 / 3