3 Month Old Sleeping Ten Hours at Night - Normal????

My three month old fell asleep last night at 11pm. He is still sleeping. He has been sleeping through the night for about a week and a half but usually wakes up about 6am or 7am. Is it normal for him to be sleeping this long? I shouldn't wake him, correct? I've heard to not wake a sleeping baby.

He's fine!! My 1st was sleeping 12 hrs by 3 months and was breastfed. My doc said as long as he was thriving it was not an issue!! Enjoy the quiet time, it doesn't last forever!!

Our first slept through the night pretty much from the beginning, and our 2 week old wakes up once. However, I would check with your ped. Just make a call and let them know to see what they say. 10 hours sounds like a lot, so you can't hurt anything by making that call.

If you are breastfeeding, this could be a problem if he is not gaining well or not nursing frequently during the day, since breastfed babies need to eat more frequently since the breastmilk is more quickly and easily digested. Nighttime nursing is really important to building and maintaining a milk supply in these early months. If your milk supply is not yet well established or he is not yet gaining well, then it is perfectly alright to wake him to nurse - often the babies don't fully wake up to nurse at nite. Indeed, waking the babies in these first few months can be essential to success in breastfeeding.

If he is being fed formula and is gaining well, then sleeping that long should be fine and you should just count your blessings.

I second Kim. My daughter is the same way and has been pretty much since day 1. We got lucky I guess. :)

You are truly blessed!! Unless he is very underweight and the doctor has said to wake him, then do not. Just count your blessings and have a good night's sleep! You more than likely will not be as lucky with baby #2(if you want another).

The goal is for them to sleep 10-12 hours at night, usually closer to 12 is best! They are little and growing so quickly they need all that sleep!! At 3 months mine was sleeping 12 hours every night with two 2 hour naps and 1 catnap in the evening... so no need to worry!! I do stand by the old saying of never wake a sleeping baby, sure does make my little man grumpy if I have to!! Enjoy the sleep!

Helping MOMS work from home!
http://www.stayinghomeandhavingfun.com

1 / 3