3 Month Old Baby Girl Twin with Bacterial Infection

Olivia, born prematurely, now 3 months, weighs 9.9lbs,has a bacterial infection. What could have caused this? She is on Augmentin for 10 days, medicine makes her have a little diarherra(sp) but Dr. says that is normal. Any suggestions as to why and how she might have gotten this. We are very careful and she hasn't been out alot around alot of other people or children.

Now, we have found out the bacterial infection is a urinary one. The Ped. wants her to have some tests at Cook's because she is so young for this. In our neighbor hood we have had water issues and I just found out a lady in the neighborhood has had a continous bladder infection she can't get rid of and another lady has been sick (don't know exactly what) but the took a sample of the water to be tested and believes that is why she has been sick. Do you think that could be Olivia's problem?

Yes that could be part of the problem, but you might ask the doctor if their is another antibiotic then augmentin. I know that amoxicillin and augmenting can cause yeast infections and other bacterial infections because the patients have a reaction to them.

Hello Bena
my dear, for all you know, she picked it up at the doctor's office... As much as I know you and I would like to... Mommies can't keep all bugs away.... just wash you hands often and before picking up each baby. Can a 3 month old have acidophilus? (or a bit of yogurt to help the good bacteria in her intestinal track. ask the pediatrician. I hope Olivia gets well soon! ~C.~

Kids just get sick. Anything you've touched out in public could have transfered it to her - or just being at the Dr's office for a well check up.
I agree that you should ask your Ped. about giving her acidophilus. There is a powdered form you can put right into formula or her meds. It will help a lot with the diarrhea and we give it any time we have to take antibiotics.

Normally viruses are caught from people, bacteria comes from surfaces and possibly vents. Cleanliness of her environment is going to be the key to the bacterial infections, people in your home touching something with bacteria on it then her...binkies or bottles that have not been properly sterilized etc.....

maybe her immune syatem hasn't fully developed. we have millions of bacteria on and around us every day.

Her immune system is not built up yet. Babies do not develop their immune system until the age of 6 months. I would not worry. My daughter was 2 months old when she had her first bacterial infection and she was full term and 8 lbs 8 ozs at birth. It can happen to anyone. We have bacteria that live in our intestines that helps digest our food. We have bacteria all around us, in us, and on us. Our immune system and skin really help keep us healthy. Just look at it this way. Your daughter now white blood cells that will defend her next time against this infection. She is building up her immune system.

I was previously a NICU nurse and I also had a premature baby. Babies that are born early have weakened immune systems, so sometimes even when you are careful they can still easily catch things that everyone else would fight off quickly. I would not think it is any fault of yours, but simply a natural problem that comes up with babies born premature.

I think some antiboitics cause this.

1 / 3